First win of season for Beccles RFC

Beccles Rugby Club first team got their first league win of the season when they beat Harlow at Beef Meadow.

Four first-half tries saw Beccles open up a lead, and they held on to win by 27-22.

Beccles now have a rest from league action this week when they face Rochford in the Intermediate Cup (kick-off 2.30pm) at Beef Meadow.

After their first league win of the season last week the team is in good spirits and will be looking to keep the momentum going.

Rochford are currently top of the same league as Beccles and have lost only once this season. Beccles have already played Rochford in the league at Beef Meadow.

You may also want to watch:

It was a hard-fought contest in which Beccles were always in contention until late on when Rochford extended their lead to 29-15.

Beccles will be missing Sale and Veasey-Lark tomorrow. Sale will be replaced by Scotchner at scrum-half. The forwards have no new injury worries and will be unchanged.

Most Read

Beccles 27, Harlow 22

Beccles were missing Payne and Johnstone but Rix came back in to the side in the second row.

Harlow started the game well and were soon in front. Missed tackles in the middle of the park allowed the Harlow full-back a free run-in under the posts. The conversion was added.

Beccles started to play some good rugby, keeping the ball alive well. When Rayner was stopped just short of the line he popped the ball up for Wade to crash over in the corner.

Rayner got on the score sheet himself soon after to put Beccles into the lead.

He cut through the defensive line and sold the full-back a dummy before sprinting in under the posts.

Beccles kept the pressure up and the opposition pinned back on their own line.

An overlap was created after some good hands by Hinsley, leaving Musker McIntyre man of the match Wade to go over for his second try.

Beccles saved the best try for last. Maeer turned the ball over in the Beccles half and it was kicked on by Sale.

Veasey-Lark won the race to the ball and picked up well.

He then chipped the ball over the last defender and was the first to the ball to touch down and score, securing the first try bonus point of the season for Beccles.

This gave a half-time score of 24-7.

Harlow improved in the second half and put Beccles under pressure.

They scored two tries to get within five points of Beccles. But Beccles increased their lead through a Murray penalty.

As the game drew to its end Harlow forced a penalty and kicked it to secure a losing bonus point. The game ended with the scores at 27-22.

This was the first win for Beccles at this level and they will be looking to carry on their form and move off the bottom of the table.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter