First win relief for Beccles
It took until week nine of the Alliance Division One campaign for bottom club Beccles to record their first win, against Mattishall at the weekend.They won the toss, elected to bat first but lost opener Richard Turrell for a duck.
It took until week nine of the Alliance Division One campaign for bottom club Beccles to record their first win, against Mattishall at the weekend.
They won the toss, elected to bat first but lost opener Richard Turrell for a duck.
But then they saw steady partnerships throughout their innings with most batsmen in the top order getting a start, before they were dismissed for 181 in the 37th over, giving Mattishall an extra nine overs.
Daniel Vihm top scored with 49 and had support from Mat Patnell 28, captain Dave Turrell 24 and Richard Holm a hard-hitting 20. For Mattishall, Lockwood claimed 4-48 and Gostling 3-21.
You may also want to watch:
Mattishall put on 88 for the first wicket, but then lost wickets regularly with Wheetman top-scoring with 47, Gostling making 43 and Stolz 22.
For Beccles Holm was the pick of the bowlers, taking 4-31, and youngster Josh Aldridge claimed 3-24 to dismiss Mattishall nine runs short of their target.
- 1 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 2 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 3 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 4 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 5 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 6 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 7 'Increased demand' but waits 'subsiding' at local heating oil company
- 8 Woman's body found at Loddon home
- 9 New brewery restaurant opens for tapas nights, afternoon tea and more
- 10 Calls to volunteer for St Elizabeth Hospice
In Sunday's Biss Rose Bowl Plate semi-final, Beccles lost by 79 runs at Brooke.
Brooke elected to bat and put on 64 before Vihm claimed a badly-needed wicket. In a couple of partnerships the mainstay was Rob Panter who hit an unbeaten 131 out of 255-7, Holm taking 3-51, Vihm 3-40 and Gary Caswell 1-62.
Beccles put on 39 for the first wicket with opener Richard Turrell taking to the long handle a few times before he holed out for 27 on the boundary.
At 39-1 Beccles still looked and Rob Porter and Daniel Vihm put on 88 before Vihm was caught behind for 38.
Porter was bowled for 40, leaving Beccles, at 135-3, in a reasonable position.
But when they lost hard-hitter Holm first ball, it turned the match back into Brookes' favour. Beccles steadily lost wickets to be all out for 178 with Porter top scoring with 40, Vihm 38, Richard Turrell 27 and Caswell 12 not out the only batsmen to make double figures. Brooke's overseas man Vinay Parikh took 6-24 off seven overs.