Floodlights boost for Beccles ground
- Credit: Archant
Since the merger of Beccles Town Football Club and the youth football club of St Benets Wasps, the overall club has made very positive steps forward in its important development.
The latest and very successful project has been to seek funding and planning to enable the club to install floodlights at College Meadow, Beccles Town Football Club’s home ground.
Club chairman Andy Woodcock said: “We have been able to deliver this project for youth football in our community within our first year as one club.
“This has been achieved through local grant funding support and our sincere thanks must go to The Townlands Charity Trust, Viridor, local businesses who have contributed to the club thorough sponsorship and those members of the club involved in our own fundraising activities.
“From the youth section perspective it has always been our vision to deliver senior youth football.
“With the merger in June 2014 and the floodlighting now in its final phase, we are anticipating Under 18 midweek Thurlow Nunn football from next season.
“As we are a substantial club with 380 youth members. There is a steady flow of 25–30 young players finishing at under 16 each season.
- 1 Fishing equipment stolen after thieves smash car window
- 2 Queen's Jubilee celebration events aplenty to enjoy in Waveney
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 5 Memorial garden unveiled as centre's open day is a success
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Suffolk care boss warns fuel costs could soon be unsustainable
- 8 Vandals damage fence and gate in night-time incident
- 9 Call to back campaign to win £20,000 of primary school sports gear
- 10 Bungay Garden Market returns in full after two year absence
“It is very important to our committee that we are able to provide more footballing opportunities.
“As such, we will also be seriously considering other league opportunities such as the Under 19 development league to complement both adult and youth football players within our club.
“Our focus is to ensure a pathway is available to young footballers in the town and surrounding areas to continue to develop them in anticipation for adult and senior football”.
Now Beccles Town FC is holding a “get together” to have “kick about” sessions throughout the next three Thursday evenings, May 14, 21 and 28 for young players who fit into the age category of Under 18 and Under 19 from next season.
The venue will be the club’s town ground with a start time of 6.45pm.
The club looks forward to seeing the players, whilst parents are also very welcome to attend as it plans the next chapter for football in Beccles.
Woodcock continued: “We will continue to update everyone on the floodlight and senior youth football projects, whilst also anticipating further announcements throughout what will be a busy but exciting summer.”