Frustration as ladies lose out to rivals in key clash
Beccles Ladies 1, Dereham III 2
HOCKEY: Beccles Ladies started the new year with a 2-1 home defeat and therefore failed to complete the double over Dereham III in the premier division of the M&A Partners Norfolk League.
The struggle for points was that much more important as both teams are lying near the bottom of this division.
Dereham took the lead after a couple of minutes through Hannah Barnard, but Beccles equalised 13 minutes later through Annette Freeman.
Dereham attacked and defended in numbers, marked tightly and were that little bit sharper.
You may also want to watch:
However, Beccles still put in a good performance and at times played some good passing hockey.
The Beccles defenders saw plenty of action. Lorraine Greenwood in goal, Laura Bonnor and Claire Gammon played a very important part in keeping Beccles in the game and the half-time score remained 1-1.
- 1 Town's post office to close within a month
- 2 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 3 Woman airlifted to hospital after crash
- 4 Man arrested and cannabis seized as Kestrel team swoops on town
- 5 How do Tier 1 areas like Cornwall compare to Suffolk?
- 6 Appeal to trace owner after gold ring is found
- 7 Safety plea after child pictured at base of crumbling cliff
- 8 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 9 Cyclist attacks car with handlebars and threatens driver
- 10 Merger plans unveiled for four pupil referral unit schools
Heather Brand and Ali Foreman put in their usual strong performance in midfield, with Annette Freeman running at the opposition and constantly chasing everything.
Both teams created scoring chances, with Dereham also having several penalty corners in succession, but neither team could capitalise on them.
With just five minutes of play remaining Jackie Taylor put Dereham ahead and claimed all three points for the away team.
This week Beccles have an even tougher game when they play third placed Magpies away, 2.15pm start.