Frustration as ladies lose out to rivals in key clash
Beccles Ladies 1, Dereham III 2
HOCKEY: Beccles Ladies started the new year with a 2-1 home defeat and therefore failed to complete the double over Dereham III in the premier division of the M&A Partners Norfolk League.
The struggle for points was that much more important as both teams are lying near the bottom of this division.
Dereham took the lead after a couple of minutes through Hannah Barnard, but Beccles equalised 13 minutes later through Annette Freeman.
Dereham attacked and defended in numbers, marked tightly and were that little bit sharper.
You may also want to watch:
However, Beccles still put in a good performance and at times played some good passing hockey.
The Beccles defenders saw plenty of action. Lorraine Greenwood in goal, Laura Bonnor and Claire Gammon played a very important part in keeping Beccles in the game and the half-time score remained 1-1.
- 1 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 2 Anger from council over felled silver jubilee trees
- 3 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 4 'No black hole' - MP reveals two new vaccine centres in towns
- 5 Christmas trees light up care farm’s day as it helps vulnerable through dark times
- 6 Rapid Covid test sites planned for Bury St Edmunds and Lowestoft
- 7 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 8 Hundreds receive coronavirus vaccine at pharmacy
- 9 'Manipulative and scheming' man jailed for child sex offences
- 10 Touching tributes paid to 'great teacher and lovely man'
Heather Brand and Ali Foreman put in their usual strong performance in midfield, with Annette Freeman running at the opposition and constantly chasing everything.
Both teams created scoring chances, with Dereham also having several penalty corners in succession, but neither team could capitalise on them.
With just five minutes of play remaining Jackie Taylor put Dereham ahead and claimed all three points for the away team.
This week Beccles have an even tougher game when they play third placed Magpies away, 2.15pm start.