Frustration as ladies lose out to rivals in key clash
Beccles Ladies 1, Dereham III 2
HOCKEY: Beccles Ladies started the new year with a 2-1 home defeat and therefore failed to complete the double over Dereham III in the premier division of the M&A Partners Norfolk League.
The struggle for points was that much more important as both teams are lying near the bottom of this division.
Dereham took the lead after a couple of minutes through Hannah Barnard, but Beccles equalised 13 minutes later through Annette Freeman.
Dereham attacked and defended in numbers, marked tightly and were that little bit sharper.
You may also want to watch:
However, Beccles still put in a good performance and at times played some good passing hockey.
The Beccles defenders saw plenty of action. Lorraine Greenwood in goal, Laura Bonnor and Claire Gammon played a very important part in keeping Beccles in the game and the half-time score remained 1-1.
- 1 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 2 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 3 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 4 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 5 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 6 Creator of mystery Covehithe statue reveals where it went
- 7 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 8 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 9 Graduation worth the wait for East Coast College's class of 2020
- 10 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
Heather Brand and Ali Foreman put in their usual strong performance in midfield, with Annette Freeman running at the opposition and constantly chasing everything.
Both teams created scoring chances, with Dereham also having several penalty corners in succession, but neither team could capitalise on them.
With just five minutes of play remaining Jackie Taylor put Dereham ahead and claimed all three points for the away team.
This week Beccles have an even tougher game when they play third placed Magpies away, 2.15pm start.