Frustration for becalmed sailors struggling to race
With the sailing season continuing at Beccles Amateur Sailing Club, 20 boats took to the water on Saturday afternoon. Frustration abounded as the wind failed to make an appearance.
Race one of the RLNI Pennant saw Mark Langston in his Steaker Radicle Posture ahead of the fleet for most of the race.
Dave Gentry and Jackie Soards in Enterprise Chippas Delight, although over at the start, recovered well to finish second.
Race two had Jake Shipley in his Laser Mr Angry forge a massive lead. After a good start Richard Deller, expertly crewed by Lucy Curtis, was caught by Chippas Delight and Glen Curtis in enterprise Polyarchy before the windward mark.
Polyarchy pushed on ahead of Chippas Delight and Radicle Posture on the way back to the clubhouse, only to caught by Cuddles before the bottom mark. Untroubled Mr Angry took the bell, with Cuddles holding on to second and Radicle Posture closely behind in third.
You may also want to watch:
Several retirements followed as the rest of the fleet struggled against the building ebb.
BASC had another good turnout of Toppers for the Juniors in the Poyser Cup. Race One had Charlie Folkard in Charlie2 lead from the start, closely followed by Rowan Curtis in his newly acquired Animal.
- 1 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 2 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 3 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 4 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 5 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 6 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 7 Psychic to use 'special gift' at Bungay's Fisher Theatre
- 8 Local recruitment crisis for dentists in east Suffolk
- 9 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 10 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
Poppy Roll in Twilight made good progress to take third. Race two was a repeat of race one only with even less wind so many were forced to retire.
Please note BASC Open day has now being rescheduled for Sunday, May 15.
If you have ever wanted to sail a dinghy please go along and give it try.
RLNI Pennant Race One (12): 1 Radical Posture (M Langston), 2 Chippas Delight (D Gentry and J Soards), 3 Mr Angry (J Shipley).
Poyser Cup Race 1 (7): 1 Charlie2 (C Folkard), 2 Animal (R Curtis), 3 Twilight (P Roll).
RLNI Pennant Race 2 (13): 1 Mr Angry, 2 Radical Posture, 3 Cuddles (R Deller and (L Curtis).
Poyser Cup Race 2 (7): 1 Charlie2, 2 Animal.