Full house of pairs for cup

A full house of 32 pairs turned out at Bungay Bowls Club’s latest open tournament to compete for the four-wood Pairs Captain’s Cup.

In the first of two qualifying groups three pairs had won both their opening matches and in the final round of matches the top two played each other.

After seven of the 12 ends Alan Buck (Oulton Broad), playing with Roger Clarke (Sole Bay) led the young Thurlton pairing of Craig Parfitt and Georgina Marwood 6-3.

However, the Thurlton duo showed the experience by scoring a five, a three, a single, a double and single on the remaining five ends to win convincingly by fifteen shots to six to claim a finals slot.

Meanwhile, after five ends the remaining pair with two wins, John Arthur and Steve Tayt (Costessey Crown,) were down 1-4 to Mettingham’s Bob Norman and Bob Wright.

However, ten shots in the next three ends by the Costessey duo gave them a comfortable lead which they held to the end by winning 12-7.

However, despite winning all three games their shots difference was 26 less than the Thurlton pair so while Craig and Georgie headed to the Grand Final, John and Steve had to settle for the third place final.

Most Read

In the other group three pairs had also won both their opening matches but avoided each other in the last round of games.

Group leaders Alan Chenery and Francis McBurney of Earl Soham saw their good work undone as they lost 15-12 to the brother and sister Bungay/Wroxham duo of Roger Bullen and Margaret Harmen.

Second in the group after two games were the young Hales/Thurlton duo of Robert Kerry and Ryan Claxton who won seven of the last nine ends to win 11-7.

Eleven was the score reached by Bungay’s Richard Tuthill and Ann Swanston after three ends of their final game and as the only other unbeaten pair looked good for the grand final on shots difference.

However, their opponents from St Marks in Norwich, Ron Mitchell and John Tuttle fought back to win five of the last nine ends to lose 15-7.

Though Richard and Ann had reduce the shots difference by half they were just four shots short of denying Robert and Ryan a place in the Grand Final.

The third place final appeared a one-sided affair as Richard and Ann found themselves 13-1 down after six of the ten ends.

Though they scored five shots in the next three ends John and Steve claimed third place with an end to spare by 17 shots to six.

The two pairs in the Grand Finals, with a combined age of 71, (which most people think is the average age of a player in this sport!) stepped on to the rink to a round of applause from a sizable and appreciative crowd that stayed on to watch the finals.

After four ends the score was two shots apiece before Craig and Georgie stamped their authority on the game as they won the next fixe ends to lead 8-2 with one end to play thanks to some great conversion and drawing shots by Craig, after Georgie had placed Robert and Ryan under pressure with her leading woods.

Robert and Ryan tried desperately to force an extra end, but were unable to so thanks their opponents positional woods, though they did gain a two to lose 8-4 in a close final.

Bungay’s league captain Arnold King presented the finalists with their prizes and trophies.

Tournament co-organiser Dominic Belisario thanked all those people involved in putting on the day’s events. It was sponsored by local butcher and events caterer John Groom for a tenth successive year.

The next tournament at Bungay is sponsored by R.Charlish and will be held on Sunday July 17.

Anyone interested in entering should contact Ian Gosling (01986) 892982 or email bungaybowlsclub@tesco.net

In the County Cup competitions Bungay lost on the extra ends to Rookery of Stowmarket in the Bert Edwards Cup, while in the Millennium trophy they beat British Sugar of Bury Saint Edmunds on all five rinks to get a round two home draw against Sproughton.