Gearing up for big run
THE Bungay Black Dog Running Club Race Committee is gearing up its preparations towards the Great East Run which takes place on February 15.Runners and organisers are hoping for a repeat of last year's near perfect running conditions with clear sky and virtually no wind.
THE Bungay Black Dog Running Club Race Committee is gearing up its preparations towards the Great East Run which takes place on February 15.
Runners and organisers are hoping for a repeat of last year's near perfect running conditions with clear sky and virtually no wind. This year will be the 10th anniversary of this 20km road race and it is anticipated the 2009 event will attract more than last year's record entry of 675. A new innovation for 2009 is the introduction of chip timing.
As in the previous few years the race is being sponsored by Elgood Brewery, whose logo is a black dog and they also brew Black Dog Mild, a favourite with dark ale drinkers. Following an invitation to BBDRC to view their North Brink Brewery in Wisbech, two members of the race committee, Roland Shaw and Karen Gedge were shown round by Alan Patemen, Production Director of Elgood & Sons.
Elgoods is an independent family brewery which has stood on the same site for over 200 years. Now run by the fifth generation of Elgoods who mashed their first brew in 1878 and remains an important aspect of Wisbech's continuing commercial history.
You may also want to watch:
So come on all you runners, whether you are may be, will be or just a bit rusty. This race is just under a Half Marathon at 12.43 miles - start training this week and you'll be pounding the roads of “The Saints” in February.
Training schedule, entry form and full details are on the website www.greateastrun.org.uk - or telephone 01359 271757.
- 1 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 2 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 3 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 4 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 5 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 6 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 7 'Increased demand' but waits 'subsiding' at local heating oil company
- 8 HGV driver faces trial after death of great-grandmother
- 9 Calls to volunteer for St Elizabeth Hospice
- 10 New brewery restaurant opens for tapas nights, afternoon tea and more