Golfers in the spotlight
MEMBERS of Beccles Golf Club have been hitting the headlines.Three younger members put their club on the local map when they showed off their skills in the Rookery Park Junior Open.
MEMBERS of Beccles Golf Club have been hitting the headlines.
Three younger members put their club on the local map when they showed off their skills in the Rookery Park Junior Open. Niall Gill gained second place and Eddie Bowles was fourth. Sarah Barker was runner-up in the girls' section.
In a fundraising effort for the Parkinson's Disease Society, Derek Bickers accompanied organiser David Sweetman, John and Nick Blyth and David Bedford in a climb to the top of Britain's highest peak Ben Nevis.
In doing so they collectively raised in excess of �2,500. Derek thanked the members of the golf club for so sponsoring him so generously.
You may also want to watch:
On Saturday the senior members contested their own trophy. Ron Walding continued his top form, following his win in the Captain's Cup to take the trophy, beating James Redpath and Brian Lever in a countback, all recording 37 points.
Sunday saw a mixed field contest the Sunday Medal. A blustery wind made good scoring difficult but that didn't prevent two of the ladies gaining top three positions.
- 1 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 2 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 3 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 4 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 5 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 6 Latitude line-up reveal delayed as bosses look to learn from Liverpool test
- 7 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 8 How old should children be to play outside on their own?
- 9 Police told family of father who died after restraint that he was sleeping
- 10 Emergency water main works completed on A47
Sam Cooper was third with her 86-15-71 and the ever-mproving Shirley Walding (102-34-68) was runner-up. James Cushing's 74-12-62 earned him first place and the medal.
Thanks were expressed to Shirley, Sam and James for their input to the weekend events.
Tomorrow (Saturday) the arranged competition will tee off at 8am with the draw at 7.45am.