Golfers in the spotlight
MEMBERS of Beccles Golf Club have been hitting the headlines.Three younger members put their club on the local map when they showed off their skills in the Rookery Park Junior Open.
MEMBERS of Beccles Golf Club have been hitting the headlines.
Three younger members put their club on the local map when they showed off their skills in the Rookery Park Junior Open. Niall Gill gained second place and Eddie Bowles was fourth. Sarah Barker was runner-up in the girls' section.
In a fundraising effort for the Parkinson's Disease Society, Derek Bickers accompanied organiser David Sweetman, John and Nick Blyth and David Bedford in a climb to the top of Britain's highest peak Ben Nevis.
In doing so they collectively raised in excess of �2,500. Derek thanked the members of the golf club for so sponsoring him so generously.
You may also want to watch:
On Saturday the senior members contested their own trophy. Ron Walding continued his top form, following his win in the Captain's Cup to take the trophy, beating James Redpath and Brian Lever in a countback, all recording 37 points.
Sunday saw a mixed field contest the Sunday Medal. A blustery wind made good scoring difficult but that didn't prevent two of the ladies gaining top three positions.
- 1 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 2 Name unveiled for new Bungay SEND school
- 3 Car park's £500 price hike was 'callous', town council says
- 4 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 5 Suffolk braced for up to 10cm of snow as warnings upgraded
- 6 Bid for 40 new homes meets fresh opposition
- 7 Takeaway deli set to open in coastal town
- 8 Nine still under investigation after man knifed in village brawl
- 9 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 10 Tributes to man, 31, who died on Christmas Day
Sam Cooper was third with her 86-15-71 and the ever-mproving Shirley Walding (102-34-68) was runner-up. James Cushing's 74-12-62 earned him first place and the medal.
Thanks were expressed to Shirley, Sam and James for their input to the weekend events.
Tomorrow (Saturday) the arranged competition will tee off at 8am with the draw at 7.45am.