Gone with the wind
Another large turnout of boats for the second week of the Series B programme, at Beccles Amateur Club, with 20 boats on the water. Saturday afternoon started in a warm sun shine and a brisk breeze which turned into a strong wind, which kept the Safety Boat busy during the later races.
Another large turnout of boats for the second week of the Series B programme, at Beccles Amateur Club, with 20 boats on the water.
Saturday afternoon started in a warm sun shine and a brisk breeze which turned into a strong wind, which kept the Safety Boat busy during the later races.
Nigel Shipley, crewed by daughter Abigail in their Norfolk, continued their recent good form to win the Pursuit Race from Richard and John Salisbury followed by the fast finishing Richard Deller. He started over a minute late after misreading the time and was more than ably crewed by young Eleanor Edwards. The Coronation Cup race was dominated by Deller and Edwards, who finished way ahead of the next boat including the Lasers and showing how fast an Enterprise will go on a “plane” (which just happened to be in full view of the clubhouse).
The Norfolk Race was won again by The Shipleys. In the Enterprise Race Deller and Edwards dominated again until the last 200 metres when they were hit by a squall and capsized, despite their best endeavours. After 15 minutes of trying to right the boat, they had to admit defeat and seek assistance from the Safety Boat crew.
You may also want to watch:
In the Junior Races Hugh Braidwood was yet again triumphant sailing his Oppie while The Toppers of Ollie Bayliss, Robert Gilchrist and Milo Beck Philips struggled to keep their boats upright, in the ever-increasing wind.
- 1 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 2 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 3 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 4 Creator of mystery Covehithe statue reveals where it went
- 5 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 6 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 7 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 8 Stars of Norfolk and Waveney 2021: A look back at last year's winner
- 9 MP still hopes to host surgeries in person after colleague killed
- 10 New brewery restaurant opens for tapas nights, afternoon tea and more