Ground-breaking golf club tees up new idea on subs
When drawing up the budget for 2011, the committee at Bungay and Waveney Valley Golf Club decided that the time had come for some drastic changes to their subscription structure.
Seventy-five per cent of the membership is aged over 55 and only five per cent are aged between 18 and 40.
With the long-term future of the club clearly susceptible, and after extensive discussions and calculations, the committee put a proposal to the annual meeting that introduced an age-related graded subscription.
In a traditional golf club environment this was both brave and ground-breaking, but then what would you expect from the Suffolk GolfMark Club of the Year!
The adult subscription in 2011 will be �585. For those members aged 18 to 40 a graded subscription in eight bands will mean someone aged 18 will pay �136, at 26 it will be �227 and at 35, �386.
You may also want to watch:
Bungay are not alone in struggling with the issue of a diminishing younger membership — it affects virtually all golf clubs.
An excellent coaching programme is run by the junior section in conjunction with Andrew Collison, the club professional.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 4 Let's staycation in...Beccles
- 5 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Suffolk
- 9 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 10 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
The new subscription regime should help the club benefit from this early coaching programme and retain younger members into adulthood.
Established in 1889, Bungay and Waveney Valley Golf Club were one of the first member clubs to appoint a ladies’ captain, so radical advances are part of their heritage.
n For further information please contact John Lunniss, secretary, Bungay and Waveney Valley Golf Club, 01986 892337.