Halesworth girls win hockey final
THE U13 girls from Halesworth Middle met the girls from Elm Tree Middle to play the final of the North Suffolk Hockey League. Both teams had come through their half of the league unbeaten so there was all to play for.
THE U13 girls from Halesworth Middle met the girls from Elm Tree Middle to play the final of the North Suffolk Hockey League.
Both teams had come through their half of the league unbeaten so there was all to play for. Halesworth started strongly and quickly applied pressure testing the Elm Tree defence and forcing the goalkeeper to make some good saves, they were rewarded with a goal after 10 minutes when Jo Mills scored from a cross by Katie Rumsey.
Shortly before half-time Juliette Parker Jervis came on and with Sarah Kett broke through the Elm Tree defence to face the goalkeeper who did well to keep the ball out. Elm Tree started to find their form and Beatrice Flatt (year 6) and Francesca Morelli worked well at the back to keep them out.
Going into the second half with a 1-0 advantage the girls played some very good hockey on a hard grass pitch where the ball was tending to bounce.
You may also want to watch:
They were rewarded with a goal set up in defence by Lucy Watson putting the ball down the left to Juliette PJ who dummied a pas to Jo Mills and slotted the ball past the keeper herself.
The final score was 2-0. All the girls from both schools played well in an excellent final. It was especially poignant as Elm Tree had received the news they are closing at the end of term.
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 3 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 4 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 5 Tools stolen in spate of van break-ins
- 6 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 7 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 8 Important milestone for hospital hub revamp as external works completed
- 9 Picturesque Bungay retirement home officially Grade II listed
- 10 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
It is hoped that the league will continue with the high schools entering teams in the future.
The Halesworth squad this year has included Sarah Kett (captain), Jesica Harvey, Connie Ball, Beatrice Flatt, Francesca Morelli, Lucy Watson, Jocelyn Foster, Katie Rumsey, Megan Hart, Juliette Parker Jervis, Bethany Howes, Jo Mills, Juliette Howlett, Alice Baggott, Abi Wright.