Halesworth heroes clinch county glory
Halesworth Middle School’s Under-13 side have been crowned the county hockey champions.
Harleston Magpies Hockey Club hosted the finals of the Suffolk Schools U13 Hockey Championships.
Halesworth put out a talented squad of inexperienced hockey players, apart from Frere-Smith and Winter, for whom this was a home fixture. The Halesworth boys showed great skill in all phases of the game.
Small, on his first outing in goal, produced some quality clearances and the fast and mobile pairing of Partridge and Cadle in defence only conceded two goals in the whole tournament. With needle-sharp strikers up front, the team went undefeated throughout the tournament.
Results: v St Louis won 1-0 (Winter); v Chalkstone drew 1-1 (Frere-Smith); v Needham won 3-1 (Winter, Delaney, Frere-Smith); v Scaltback won 4-0 (Frere-Smith (3), Scarle); v Hadleigh won 1-0 (Winter).
You may also want to watch:
n Loddon Ladies Hockey Club held their annual meeting and presentation ceremony last Saturday.
Thanks went to all those who have helped during the past season, from umpires and coaches to the committee and parents of the younger players. Both teams managed to stay in their respective leagues despite losing several key players.
- 1 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 2 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 3 Police investigate Southwold sign swearing at visitors to stay away
- 4 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 5 'A momentous occasion': Pharmacies to start Covid vaccinations in Suffolk
- 6 Roundabout memorial bid for the 'Ole Chicken Man of Bungay'
- 7 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 8 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 9 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 10 People in 'next priority' groups to receive covid jabs in coastal town
Award winners were: First team players’ player, Lauren Raven; first team most improved, Tash Waddington; second team players’ player, Rebecca Carver; second team most improved was shared between Charlotte Harvey and Emily Bussens. A special mention was made to Jules Elwin for her efforts over the season, and Steve Carver was awarded the Chairman’s Cup for contributions to the club.