Harriers contingent do their club proud in a couple of county championships
- Credit: Archant
Junior members of Beccles & Bungay Harriers competed in the Norfolk and Suffolk Track and Field Athletics County Championships with outstanding results.
The event took place over the weekend at University of East Anglia Sportspark, Norwich.
Three junior members (Lucy Emmett, Will Simm and Enya Calver-Brown) took part, with particular success for Lucy who was second in both the under 17 women’s 1,500m and the under 17 1,500m steeple chase.
In the boys U15 3,000m Will came second while he was sixth in the 1,500m.
It was the first time that Enya Calver-Brown had entered the competition and she did well in her three events.
You may also want to watch:
In the adult section, Lynn Emmett was the club’s only competitor but she came good to win the women’s 45 and over 5,000m in a time of 20:28.4.
Results were as follows: U13G 200m Enya Calver-Brown 34.2 pb, fourth in heat; U13G 800m Enya Calver-Brown 3:18.2; U17W 1500m Lucy Emmett 5:11 second; U17M 1500m Will Simm 4:31 sixth; U17M 3000m Will Simm second; W45 5000m Lynn Emmett 20:28.4 firstt; U17W 1500m SC Lucy Emmett 5:58 PB second; U13G Long Jump Enya Calver-Brown 2.53 19th.
- 1 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 2 Former pub and restaurant could become six-bed home
- 3 'Everyone knew' Suffolk journalist David Lennard in the towns he covered during long career
- 4 Latitude boss 'super confident' about 2021 events going ahead
- 5 Son's concern as Covid hospital patient, 85, moved seven times in two weeks
- 6 Coronavirus case rates in Suffolk continue to fall below national average
- 7 Tributes to 'much loved' council worker as dustcart leads funeral cortège
- 8 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
- 9 Multi-million pound river barrier to protect Broads being considered
- 10 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
Sunday also saw the Suffolk contingent of the club compete in the Suffolk Track and Field Athletics County Championships at Ipswich.
Only two junior club members took part but both with considerable success. Brooke Oram competed in three U15 events and did well to come second in the javelin, third in discus and third in the 1500m.
Similarly Lauren Oram came third in the U20 1,500m; second in the 800m; second in discus and third in the javelin.
Results were as follows: Brooke Oram (U15s) 1500m third (5.18.3), discus third (14.72m), javelin second (20.61); Lauren Oram (U20s) 1500m third (6:17.8), 800m second (3:03.1), discus second (21.09m), javelin third (19.90m).
Beccles & Bungay Harriers Athletics Club currently train regularly at Bungay High School on Tuesday evenings and Beccles Rugby ground (Common Lane) on Thursday evenings, 6.45 to 8.15pm. New senior and junior members are welcome. If anyone would like further information on any of these contact the club chairperson Gary Howe on 01986 781227, mobile 07761 474313 or email email@example.com