Former Bungay Town man signs pro deal with Colchester United
- Credit: Archant
Former Bungay Town youngster Harvey Sayer has signed his first professional contract with Colchester United.
The 18-year-old, who was born at the James Paget Hospital, has signed a deal with the U’s that will keep him there until the summer of 2023.
Sayer made his debut for Colchester recently in the Papa John’s Trophy against West Ham and is hopeful of getting more minutes this season for the League Two side.
He told cu-fc.com: "I was warming up from the beginning on the second half and I got the call from the Gaffer to come back and prepare to get on."
"I replaced Miles (Welch-Hayes) for the final 35 minutes, and I looked to show my strengths of running with the ball and crossing to create chances.
You may also want to watch:
"It was a difficult game and we worked hard to try and get the result, which we couldn’t manage unfortunately.
"It has definitely given me a taste for the first team environment and I am determined to keep developing."
- 1 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 2 Latitude line-up reveal delayed as bosses look to learn from Liverpool test
- 3 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 4 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 5 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 6 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 7 Police told family of father who died after restraint that he was sleeping
- 8 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 9 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 10 Driver suffers minor injuries in crash with minibus
Sayer started his football journey as a five-year-old at Bungay Town FC before being scouted by Norwich City, aged eight. He progressed from the Player Development Centre into the elite before gaining a place in the academy. However, he was released by the Canaries at 12 but was scouted by Colchester, playing for Suffolk County.
Colchester initially wanted to give him a six-week trial but after a couple of weeks, offered him a contract on his 14th birthday in January, 2017.
While playing for Colchester, he was scouted by England and in February 2018, played for the Young Lions' under-15 side against Belgium.
Sayer, who also had once had a trial at Wolves, scored in Colchester’s first three Under-18s games this season and impressed for the Under-23s recently.
After making his senior debut he will be hoping for more first team opportunities.