Icicle Shield well named
SAILING: With winter’s early arrival, and the temperature at or below freezing at Beccles Amateur Sailing Club on Sunday morning, only the bravest of crews ventured onto the water.
A very light westerly wind and an ebbing tide enabled seven boats, after a ten-minute delay to allow teams to defrost their controls, to race for what proved to be more of an endurance test.
Mark Langston in his Laser was first to the windward mark in round one of the Icicle Shield, and first over the line to win on handicap over close rivals Richard Deller and Saskia Baylis in their Enterprise.
In round two Ryan Langston in his Laser, in nearly calm winds, led the entire race from Matt Deller in his newly-acquired 8.1 rigged Laser.
Harry Shipley in a club Topper was the only entry in this week’s Goodwin Trophy and George Curtis in Robin Hood the only Optimist in the Popsicle Plate.
You may also want to watch:
Both young helms showed much determination in testing conditions to well deserve their first places.
Today Beccles Amateur Sailing Club are holding their annual meeting at The Conservative Club, Beccles starting at 8pm. All members are welcome.
- 1 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 2 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 3 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 4 Man was found dead in wooded area after battle with alcoholism, inquest hears
- 5 Town's post office to close within a month
- 6 Man arrested and cannabis seized as Kestrel team swoops on town
- 7 Man admits voyeurism after filming people in bathrooms with hidden cameras
- 8 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 9 Manager's tears of happiness at hotel accolade
- 10 Missing pregnant woman found
Icicle Shield race one (5): 1 Floater (M Langston), 2 Cuddles (R Deller & S Baylis), 3 Hell Rooster (M Deller).
Goodwin Trophy race one (1): 1 T3 (H Shipley).
Popsicle Plate race one (1): Robin Hood (G Curtis).
Icicle Shield race two (5): 1 PDG (M Langston), 2 Hell Rooster (M Deller), 3 Cuddles (R Deller & S Baylis).