Impressive squad sees Bungay Town hit Foulsham for six

Ricci Butler blew his top after Saturday's defeat.

Ricci Butler blew his top after Saturday's defeat. - Credit: Nick Butcher

Young players from the club’s under 18 squad are being given a chance in the Bungay first team and a couple of them again showed their potential on Saturday in a comfortable 6-1 victory on an uncomfortable pitch at Foulsham.

Luke Spear again caused panic to the defence with his speed in running at defenders and Alex Perrin, in his first start, also showed some good touches and got on the scoresheet to lift the Black Dogs closer to the top of the Anglian Combination Division One.

They will profit from the experience of such senior players as captain Craig Hunting, Shaun Whiteman and Danny Wilby, and with several squad regulars unavailable it is comforting to know there are Black Dog pups eager to show what they can do.

Struggling Foulsham gave Bungay few problems, and in the fifth minute the keeper made a good save from Kevin Riches following a Perrin free-kick. At the other end Rob Howes did well to punch clear under pressure, but the Black Dogs were mainly in the ascendancy and Sam Bone, on his debut after some good performances in the Reserves, found Spear in space only for the keeper to divert his effort for a corner.

In the 13th minute Bone and Spear set up Wilby for a tap in only for him to somehow pull his shot wide, but Bungay went ahead in the 25th minute as a good run and cross from the right by Spear gave Perrin the chance to score from six yards.

Nine minutes later it was 2-0 as Perrin’s corner caused problems and the keeper blocked two shots before Riches got the final touch.

Howes had to turn two long-range shots over the bar and Foulsham should have scored on half-time, only for a forward to put a free header over the bar.

Most Read

Early in the second half Joe McFarlane put Spear clear but the keeper blocked his shot.

But McFarlane got the third in the 63rd minute. Ryan McFadden, who had another fine game, took a throw in, Spear crossed and Wilby played it back for Mcfarlane to stoke the ball home from 12 yards.

Matt Holmes replaced Bone and soon made it 4-0, turning in a low cross from Spear.

Elliot Jackson pulled one back for Foulsham with a lob over the advancing Howes in the 73rd minute, but two minutes later Holmes made it 5-1, side-footing into the roof of the next following a free-kick.

Holmes almost set up another for Wilby, before Bungay completed the scoring in added time as Wilby’s quickly taken free-kick was turned past his own keeper by a defender in a desperate attempt to clear.

In the final minute Foulsham had a player booked, and then sent off for dissent.

Team: Howes, Olley, Hunting, Whiteman, McFadden, Spear (Horton), Riches, McFarlane, Wilby, Bone (Holmes), Perrin (Baynes).

Tomorrow Bungay visit neighbours Hempnall with a 2pm kick-off.