It’s just a waiting game for Beccles

RUGBY: After losing to Chelmsford, Beccles now have a week off from league action.

In two weeks’ time they travel to Sudbury for a massive game that will decide whether Beccles get relegated.

If Beccles can get a win they will be all but assured of London Division Two rugby next season.

Beccles 14, Chelmsford 18

DESPITE a good performance from the Beccles side they were unable to secure victory against fourth-placed Chelmsford.

Two Wade penalties in the second half did secure them a vital bonus point as they lost by 14–18.

Captain Lake had a hard time selecting his side with everyone fit and keen to play. Paul Wilson returned in the second row and Rix came out of a short retirement to play in the back row.

Most Read

In the backs Payne started at fly-half with Kiwi Williamson in the centres.

Chelmsford started the game well and an early yellow card for Williamson for a dangerous tackle put Beccles on the back foot.

Chelmsford opened the scoring with a penalty and added an unconverted try to stretch their lead.

With Beccles back up to 15 they started to come back in to the game. The forwards kept the ball tight and Chelmsford struggled to cope with their driving play.

This was led by Musker McIntyre man of the match Rix who carried the ball with his usual style.

After one series of drives towards the Chelmsford line Rob Wilson was on hand to power his way over for a try. Wade missed the conversion but soon added a penalty to level the scores.

However, Chelmsford sneaked another penalty in first half injury time to make the half-time score 11-8.

In the second half it was all Beccles. Maeer and Murray were introduced from the bench and both made a difference to the game. Beccles were keeping Chelmsford pinned in their 22 but could not find a way over the line.

From one attack the ball went loose and Chelmsford hacked the ball clear.

Their winger won the race to the ball and was able touch down under the posts for a converted try.

Beccles continued to attack and two Wade penalties got them back within four points. Beccles went looking for a win.

They won a scrum on the Chelmsford line and looked as if they were going to drive over the line for a try.

Chelmsford conceded a penalty and Beccles called for another scrum but one of the Chelmsford props went down injured and they had no replacement.

This meant that the scrums had to go uncontested and Beccles lost their best chance of scoring a try.

Beccles continued to push for the win but could not find a way through the Chelmsford defence. The game finished with the score at 14–18.