It’s raining goals at Beccles!


- Credit: Archant

Beccles 9 Foulsham 1

Beccles took on Foulsham and produced a massive goal flurry – despite conceding the first goal.

Beccles kicked off and started the Anglian Combination Division One game rather poorly as a spirited Foulsham looked the sharper of the two teams.

This was proved correct as they took the lead on 10 minutes. Beccles failed to stop a cross from the right side and it fell to a striker to sweep home past Cable.

But on 20 minutes Beccles drew level. Good work by Clarke and Harvey-Cooper fashioned a chance for Joe Clark to fire home past the keeper.

Town were into their flow at this point and the returning Heaney was linking up well with Remblance and Milton in midfield.

Beccles could have extended their lead when excellent chances were created by the outstanding Clark down the left for Harvey-Cooper and Clarke, but neither could find the finish.

Most Read

The visiting keeper also pulled off two outstanding saves.

On the stroke of half-time Town took the lead when Clark picked up the ball, beat his man and finished well at the second attempt following another good save by the keeper.

The second half started the same as the first had ended with Beccles creating chances, and it took only five minutes for their lead to be extended. This time Harvey-Cooper found enough space in the box to fire his shot past the keeper.

Harvey-Cooper then doubled his tally on 60 minutes when he fired a 25-yard free-kick in off the post with the keeper well beaten.

Jason Clarke was the next to get himself on the scoresheet. Good work down the right by Booker led to Clarke finding space in the box and finishing expertly after the keeper had saved his initial effort.

Beccles then replaced Heaney and Remblance with Roberts and Bailey.

And Bailey wasted no time in exerting his quality on the game – taking just five minutes to add his name to the lengthening scoresheet. From Joe Clark’s cross Bailey controlled and fired a powerful shot past the keeper.

Hurren then replaced the tiring Harvey-Cooper and he took just two minutes to score. Joe Clarke again beat his man on the left before squaring for Hurren to tap in from two yards. In the 87th minute Clark completed a deserved hat-trick when Bailey raced down the left and played a fantastic ball for the striker to tap in at the far post.

The goal scoring was wrapped up on 90 minutes when Hurren added his second.

Udell played the ball into the box for Hurren to control and pass the ball into the bottom corner.

The victory means Beccles are sixth in the table, although they have games in hand on most of their opponents – they are six points behind second-placed Aylsham Town, but have played six fewer games. However, Waveney are in danger of running away with the title – they have nine points more than Beccles, from the same number of games.

Town: Cable, Booker, Shade, Philp, Udell, Heaney Remblance, Milton, Harvey-Cooper, Clarke and Clark. Subs: Roberts, Bailey and Hurren.

Tomorrow, Beccles welcome Hempnall, who are third from bottom of the table, to College Meadow – kick-off is 2.30pm.