Keeper injury hits Beccles Town
Sprowston Athletic 2, Beccles Town 0Beccles missed the chance to move up the Anglian Combination Division One table as they put in a lacklustre performance.
Sprowston Athletic 2, Beccles Town 0
Beccles missed the chance to move up the Anglian Combination Division One table as they put in a lacklustre performance.
They lost keeper Cable early and paid the price of having no substitute keeper travelling with the squad.
Broxup made changes after the 1-1 draw at Cromer. Holmes returned to the starting line-up, Peters dropped to the bench and Waterman was given 90 minutes in the reserves. The back four was the same with a midfield pairing of Day and Wilson. Holmes and Woods operated the wide positions with Hurren and Knight up front.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles were the brighter team for the first 15 minutes with Hurren, Holmes and Knight all looking sharp. Hurren had the first chance of the game as he latched onto Barham's through ball and on his left foot from a tight angle forced the keeper into a good save.
Sprowston started to get into the game. A long ball caused confusion in the Beccles rearguard but the Sprowston striker put his shot wide. From the attempt to save, Cable twisted his back and was unable to continue. Beccles had to reshuffle and midfielder Wilson took the gloves. Peters came on in midfield.
- 1 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 2 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 3 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 4 Police investigate Southwold sign swearing at visitors to stay away
- 5 People in 'next priority' groups to receive covid jabs in coastal town
- 6 Roundabout memorial bid for the 'Ole Chicken Man of Bungay'
- 7 'A momentous occasion': Pharmacies to start Covid vaccinations in Suffolk
- 8 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 9 Ten high intensity exercises to 'start your day right'
- 10 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
On 25 minutes Sprowston took the lead. A shot from a tight angle was too hot for Wilson to hold and an attacker smashed the rebound into the roof of the net.
A really bad challenge on Mcmorran left him barely able to run for the remainder of the half and he failed to return from the half-time break. Wigg took up his place alongside Barham and Shaw pushed across to right back.
Beccles hoped to get straight back into the game as they have done so many times this season. They huffed and puffed, but Athletic continued to repel what little Town had to offer going forward. Beccles forced many corners and free-kicks in good positions but could not break down the stubborn defence.
On 75 minutes Athletic wrapped up all three points from the spot. Wilson saved well from an initial shot before Day needlessly brought down the in-rushing attacker. The player picked himself up and sent the penalty into the bottom corner.
The injury to Cable did not help matters but the whole team seemed second best on the day. Beccles must now pick themselves up tomorrow if they want close the gap on the teams above. A tough game is in prospect with title chasers Acle United at College Meadow, ko 2.30pm.