Keepers shine in derby frinedly

Lowestoft Railway 1, Beccles 2A GOOD turnout for this first game of the season saw Beccles, with 13 players, travel to Cliff Park, Gorleston for this friendly hockey match against Railway.

Lowestoft Railway 1, Beccles 2

A GOOD turnout for this first game of the season saw Beccles, with 13 players, travel to Cliff Park, Gorleston for this friendly match against Railway.

A fine display by both the goalkeepers kept this to a low-scoring game. It was the first time for many players, to experience the new self-pass rule, and they soon adapted.

The first half was evenly balanced with neither team being able to break the deadlock.

You may also want to watch:

Beccles thought they had taken the lead but when the ball crossed the line, but the umpire rightly disallowed for a dangerous lifted ball.

Eleven minutes before half-time, Railway were awarded a penalty corner, which they did not convert.

Most Read

But the following pressure resulted in a player getting past her defender and placing the ball to the side of the keeper to put Railway 1-0 up.

Beccles piled on the pressure, and just before half time Annette Freeman received the ball just over the halfway line and weaved her way into the D.

Her subsequent shot hit the stick of her team-mate, Laura Ashworth and deflected into the goal to draw level.

Beccles received a blow seconds into the second half when Carol Maycock pulled up in agony as she ran down the wing, and she took no part further part in the game.

Fortunately, having brought a squad of 13, Beccles could still field a full team, and the game remained evenly balanced.

Both teams created chances, with Railway having a number of chances which required the Beccles keeper to pull off some excellent saves, incorporating a fine display of versatility.

On several occasions the Railway keeper denied Beccles taking the lead as she consistently stopped the Beccles attack in a one-on-one situation.

With the new rules, Railway decided to pass the ball back to a defender from a long corner, but the defender hit it straight to the opposition for Debbie Mann to pick up and sent a long ball to Annette Freeman.

She took on the keeper single handed, and despite being denied at the first attempt, she got the rebound and put Beccles 2-1 up with three minutes to go.

This week Beccles have another friendly game - away at Harleston, 12.15pm start.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter