Kingfishers are top class
A 65-strong team from Beccles Town Swimming Club took on the rest of the county in Ipswich in the annual Development Championships.Last year Beccles took the title with nearly 600 more points than the nearest rival.
A 65-strong team from Beccles Town Swimming Club took on the rest of the county in Ipswich in the annual Development Championships.
Last year Beccles took the title with nearly 600 more points than the nearest rival. They became the first team to retain the trophy, winning with 1,659 points more than double their nearest rival, Ipswich.
In total 160 medals were won by Beccles Kingfishers: 46 gold, 55 silver and 59 bronze.
All six top team awards for the top three girls and boys over the weekend went to Beccles swimmers.
You may also want to watch:
Richard Clarke earned 79 points and 12 medals, gold in his 50m breaststroke. Steven Kirby picking up 78 points and 10 medals and Douglas Olley 77 points and 10 medals. Amber Bircham claimed 89 points and nine medals with golds in 200 and 50 breaststroke and 100 butterfly. Hollie Holland won 76 points and 10 medals and Rachel Doran 66 points and seven medals.
Also winning individual age group swims and gold medals were Henry Barnes, Kieran Hayward, Ross Barnshaw, Dalton Yallop, Robert Thurtell, William Pye and Thomas Taylor; Nina Howell, Tamara Spooner, Amy Howell, Bonnie Birch, Philippa Doran, Sophie Podd, Jenny Seaman and Ellen Nelson.
- 1 Green light for new homes bid in Norfolk village
- 2 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 3 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 4 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 5 Primary school reopens after outbreak of 17 Covid cases
- 6 New mayor unveiled for Bungay
- 7 Opening date revealed for community pub with 1,400 shareholders
- 8 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 9 Fire crews called out to bin fire at Bungay public toilets
- 10 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
Konner Carter was competing in his first competitive race and there were great junior swims from Matthew Doran, Hannah Stokes, Imogen Long and Courtney Cable.
In the more senior age groups Zanna Yallop, Eleanor Clarke and Louise Shepherdson did well, as did many, many more.
The top five clubs out of the 13 taking part finished Beccles 1,659, Ipswich 684, Stowmarket 602, Lowestoft & OB 541, Newmarket 499.
A special thank you went to the helpers and team coaches Brian Kirby, Andy Holland, Jamie Fenn, Julie Yallop and Nicky Taylor.