Lack of cutting edge costs Loddon in cup

Loddon United 0, Diss Town 2

With Loddon’s Anglian Combination fortunes improving of late in the form of a win at Wroxham, this was an interesting Norfolk Senior Cup third round test against Ridgeons League Division One side Diss.

It was not until the last 15 minutes that the higher-league Tangerines gained the advantage.

Within five minutes there were chances at each end. Greenhalf had a cross-cum-shot tipped against the bar by the Diss keeper, and at the other end, Robin Andersen and Baylis both made good blocks before Diss fired over.

Dan Andersen found Greenhalf with a great crossfield ball, but a decent cross was not met. Robinson made a brave stop at the feet of Town’s big No 9 and gathered a Rocastle shot comfortably.

You may also want to watch:

A free header from a corner was cleared off the line by Dan Andersen and Baylis, under pressure, headed clear. Summons put Greenhalf through on the left but his off-balance strike was well off target. Burke received a loose clearance in the box but could not control and had to be happy with a corner which was sent down the keeper’s throat.

Just before the break, Squire was cleverly turned but the Diss shot sliced just wide of an upright.

Most Read

Poor concentration by Burke allowed Diss a shot from distance which Robinson shuffled away.

Robin Andersen spread play from left to right where Dan Andersen had one touch and hit a sweet drive just off-target to see first-half honours shared.

Hancock started the second half with a crucial challenge at the far post.

Summons was fouled, Brown’s delivery of the free-kick was short and cleared, but Robin Andersen pumped it back into the box. Summons again challenged and a diving Greenhalf saw his header saved at full stretch.

Burke chipped in for Dan Andersen, Summons set up Brown – but neither effort threatened. Wise was beaten to a Hancock pass, Robin Andersen fired well off target, and Greenhalf read a chest-back to his keeper by a defender but could not latch onto it.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 75th minute. A Diss cross was headed clear by Greenhalf, and it fell to the No 5. His sliced shot fell to Bryant who calmly knocked it past Robinson.

The next 10 minutes saw Baylis stretch and block again and Robinson tip over – but Loddon could so easily have levelled when Squire regained possession at the back, went on a run and fed Wise then Summons. He found Brown in space in the box who squared when he should have tested the keeper, and the chance was lost.

Sadler replaced Greenhalf but had no time to make an impact. With a minute left, Robinson tried a bit of ball juggling and was lucky to see his gift squandered.

Dan Andersen forced a good save but the corner was wasted. Diss broke, Dan Andersen chased back to get it back to Robinson, whose mis-fired clearance only found Rocastle – who put the game to bed for Diss in added time.

A decent performance at times. Loddon competed on equal terms in open play, but failure to get into the box or to really test the visiting keeper just emphasised their lack of cutting edge up front.

Good turns from Robinson and Greenhlf, but Musker McIntyre MoM goes to Tom Baylis.

Loddon: Robinson A, Hancock, Baylis, Squire, Andersen R, Andersen D, Summons G, Burke, Greenhalf; Brown, Wise. Subs: Sadler, Andersen C, Crisp.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter