Lack of finishing touch costs Bungay

Bungay Town 0, Caister United 4

IF the Black Dogs had taken their chances they would have won this game handsomely – instead they fell to another disappointing Anglian Combination Division One defeat to Caister at the Maltings Meadow on Saturday.

They completely dominated the first half with some of their best football of the season, hit the woodwork three times in six seconds in one assault on the Caister goal, and created eight or ten clear cut chances – but had nothing to show for it.

As happens too often, Caister hit them with a goal just before the break and in the second half showed how chances should be taken.

With Craig Hunting having left the club, Kevin Riches fell back into the back four, but he was first to try his luck for Bungay in the first minute as his header from James Youngman’s corner was just off target.

You may also want to watch:

Bungay looked sharp and committed, with Youngman particularly good down the right and from another set-up by him Matt Holmes should have hit the target, but fired wide. Then Dan Andrews got through on the left but his shot from an angle was saved.

The Black Dogs were desperately unlucky in the 10th minute as Riches’ header from Youngman’s corner hit the underside of the bar, Shaun Whiteman’s follow-up header also hit the underside of the bar, and when the ball was half cleared Andrews struck the bar with a powerful effort.

Most Read

The busy Caister keeper made a reflex save from a piledriver from Billy Davies and Andrews broke clear, only to roll his shot narrowly wide of the far post.

But in first half stoppage time Caister showed how chances should be taken as a quick break down the left set up a chance for Dan Bartram and he rifled his shot past Foyster.

The visitors looked much more determined in the second half and Fosyter had to make a good save to keep out a Bartram effort, before Whiteman’s boot clear just cleared his own bar. The visitors increased their lead in the 57th minute as Alan Flaxman finished clinically at the end of a quick break. Soon after another Caister effort hit the top of the bar.

A third goal came in the 61st minute as Barry Crane got away down the right to score with a shot off a post. Andrews should have pulled one back for Bungay but again he rolled his effort just wide of the post before Youngman tested the keeper with a well struck shot.

Caister made it 4-0 in the 79th minute as substitute Gary Fitzgerald poked the ball past Foyster after cutting in from the right.

Davies tried his luck three times for Bungay in the closing stages but was thwarted each time and Whiteman set up a chance for Andrews but it was not the home striker’s day.

Tomorrow Bungay visit Watton United (2.30).

Bungay: G Fostyer, M Shipley, S Batt, K Riches, S Whiteman, J Youngman, R Tuffs, B Davies, C Jones (M James), M Holmes, D Andrews.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter