Ladies battle well for draw
BECCLES Ladies played host to Lowestoft Ladies in a friendly hockey game at Hobart High School on Saturday and drew 2-2.The younger Lowestoft side piled on the pressure right from the start of the game, and continued to do so for much of the first half.
BECCLES Ladies played host to Lowestoft Ladies in a friendly hockey game at Hobart High School on Saturday and drew 2-2.
The younger Lowestoft side piled on the pressure right from the start of the game, and continued to do so for much of the first half.
However, the Beccles defence stood strong, and fended off persistent attacks, with all of the players giving 100 per cent.
Lorraine Greenwood pulled off some brave saves, with Brenda Thompson and Lorraine Calver both putting in good performances.
Lowestoft pushed forward relentlessly with practically all of their players in the opposition's half as they attacked in numbers.
That the score remained 0-0 at half-time can be attributed to the determination and skill of Heather Brand, Laura Cook and Ali Foreman who all worked tirelessly throughout.
- 1 F1 star jumps out of plane over Suffolk town
- 2 Museum ready for 21st century after 'transformation'
- 3 Fire crews tackle blaze for several hours at Suffolk farm
- 4 Celebration of food and drink gearing up for return this weekend
- 5 Chainsaws and drills stolen after rural farm buildings targeted
- 6 Wanted woman arrested in Lowestoft
- 7 Where jubilee parties are taking place in Waveney
- 8 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 9 Boat users given fines over £16k for breaking rules on Norfolk Broads
- 10 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
With so much pressure it was inevitable that Lowestoft would score, and they broke the deadlock three minutes into the second half.
Soon after Beccles were awarded their first penalty corner which Debbie Mann received and powered the ball home to put Beccles level.
Lowestoft almost immed-iately scored again. With the full-time whistle near, Beccles equalised through Coral Moore, whose first-time shot from a penalty corner took a slight deflection.
This was a very hard-fought game where everyone worked extremely hard, and Beccles can be very pleased.
This week Beccles are away to Norwich Union II at Pinebanks - note amended start time is now 12.30pm.