Ladies' hockey round-up
Thetford Ladies 1, Beccles Ladies 1A LATE call-off on the morning of the game meant that Beccles had to play this Martin & Acock Division One game with only 10 players.
Thetford Ladies 1, Beccles Ladies 1
A LATE call-off on the morning of the game meant that Beccles had to play this Martin & Acock Division One game with only 10 players.
Beccles did not play to their usual high standard. This should not detract from the determination they demonstrated, but Thetford played good team hockey, using the “spare unmarked player” well.
Thetford constantly attacked in numbers. The Beccles defence withstood the pressure well but Thetford broke through after 25 minutes when, with the keeper on the ground from a previous save, the ball was lifted into the net.
You may also want to watch:
Early second half Thetford missed an easy chance. Beccles played better and mid-half Annette Freeman was delighted to level the score after three of her team-mates, Carol Maycock, Debbie Mann and Ali Foreman had hands in battling for the ball.
This week Beccles are at home to Yarmouth II, 10.30am start. Supporters and prospective new players very welcome. Tel 07823 884389.
- 1 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 2 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 3 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 4 Woman in 20s suffers serious leg injuries in late night crash
- 5 Four men arrested after teenager robbed
- 6 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 7 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 8 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 9 Theatre group to put on Joseph show - 17 months after original date
- 10 New McDonald's restaurant to open with safety measures in place
Loddon II 5, Thetford II 0
LODDON II had another outstanding game, with the goals coming from steady pressure throughout the game.
Beth Bygrave carved out a hat-trick with forceful play in the circle, and Ruth King scored with a powerful hit from the edge of the area. Julie Glover's deceptive free hit put Bridget Le Good through to complete the goals.
Claire May at left midfield was Loddon's player of the match. Thetford never looked likely to beat Wendy Jenness in the Loddon goal, whilst Loddon fullbacks Jackie Stewart and Jackie Hill calmly controlled the circle. Hannah Jenness and Toni Glover gave Loddon drive and penetration down both wings, but Judith Meadows and Mandy Kirby made sure the Thetford wingers never seriously threatened.
Loddon III 3, Lowestoft Railway II 3
THE two bottom teams, played out a hard-fought draw with Railway twice going ahead through Jo Pallant and Hannah Atkin. But Loddon recovered and were inspired by goals from Toni Glover (2) and Julie Glover. Belinda Rodgers was Loddon's player of the match at left defence. Aimee Etheridge returned to contribute some penetrating runs, and young players Laura Saxton and Becky Carver showed nice touches. Emily Willer, Megan Kirby and Ruth King put in some determined tackling whilst Sam Martin in the Loddon goal kept them in the game.