Late goal blow for Bungay
Bungay 1, Hempnall 2A LATE goal robbed Bungay of a deserved draw in their final pre-season friendly at the Maltings Meadow on Tuesday.Once again they were against opposition from a higher sphere, but gave a good account of themselves.
Bungay 1, Hempnall 2
A LATE goal robbed Bungay of a deserved draw in their final pre-season friendly at the Maltings Meadow on Tuesday.
Once again they were against opposition from a higher sphere, but gave a good account of themselves.
They created the better first-half chances, with Sean Payne heading over from a corner when he should have hit the target, and Clarke hurrying his shot from a good position and putting it wide.
Robert Long made a couple of good saves as Anglian Combination Premier Division Hempnall attacked, but the Black Dogs' good work was undone on the stroke of half-time as a defensive blunder gifted the visitors a goal.
Bungay's reply came early in the second half as Paul Bullen's persistence harried a defender into a mistake and the impressive Matt King picked up the loose ball to score with a shot just inside the far post.
- 1 'We've had parents in tears' - The church fighting school uniform poverty
- 2 New hair salon opens up with its very own puppy on the premises
- 3 Vandals damage fence and gate in night-time incident
- 4 'A very special place' - New mayor privileged to serve town
- 5 Town's walk and talk scheme helps locals connect to the community
- 6 Bungay Garden Market returns in full after two year absence
- 7 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 8 Data reveals 'inadequate' Suffolk schools starting again as academies
- 9 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 10 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
There was little between the sides in a game which could have gone either way, but with two minutes left a Hempnall forward trapped the ball on his chest before volleying first time inside the near post from the edge of the area - a superb strike which gave Long no chance.
At the weekend Bungay had been beaten 4-1 in a friendly away to Old Newtonians.
Their season proper gets under way on Tuesday evening as they visit Sole Bay (Southwold) for their first Anglian Combination Division One game (6.30pm).
Bungay Veterans have a home friendly against Harleston Veterans this evening (7.30pm).