Late strikes stun Loddon
Loddon Utd 1, Sheringham 3
Once again, Loddon succumbed to late goals after failing to score when on top for long periods.
With a slightly varied formation, due to injuries, Loddon set about their task with spirit and energy and looked much tighter at the back.
A corner saw Knights on the move get a touch at the near post, the ball missing the far post by inches. Good pressure from Crisp saw him win possession, find Marjoribanks, but his head on could not be converted on the turn by Brown just six yards out. Just before the break, Stebbings made a tremendous double save to keep it blank going into the break.
With 15 left on the clock disaster struck. A misguided Baylis header at the near post from a Sheringham long throw fell kindly, and from the edge of the box they found the top corner.
You may also want to watch:
Squire, suffering from cramp, and Brown were replaced by Sadler and Burke, but moments later, Loddon again failed to clear, a stray shot found an unmarked player in the box who made it 2-0.
With two minutes left, a Sadler corner to the far post was headed home by Marjoribanks to give Loddon a glimmer of hope.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 'No black hole' - MP reveals two new vaccine centres in towns
- 3 Touching tributes paid to 'great teacher and lovely man'
- 4 Anger from council over felled silver jubilee trees
- 5 Council vows to find answers to flooding issue
- 6 Christmas trees light up care farm’s day as it helps vulnerable through dark times
- 7 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 8 Suffolk Covid rates declining, but increased deaths expected
- 9 'Manipulative and scheming' man jailed for child sex offences
- 10 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
But deep into injury time an unlucky Baylis clearance was blocked, again fell kindly for Sheringham and the forward chipped over a diving and helpless Stebbings to seal the win.
Loddon: Stebbings; Andersen C, Baylis, Durrant, Andersen R; Knights, Crisp, Squire, Greenhalf; Marjoribanks; Brown. Subs: Sadler, Burke, Hancock
In their previous match, Loddon were beaten 3-0 by St Andrews.