Late strikes stun Loddon
Loddon Utd 1, Sheringham 3
Once again, Loddon succumbed to late goals after failing to score when on top for long periods.
With a slightly varied formation, due to injuries, Loddon set about their task with spirit and energy and looked much tighter at the back.
A corner saw Knights on the move get a touch at the near post, the ball missing the far post by inches. Good pressure from Crisp saw him win possession, find Marjoribanks, but his head on could not be converted on the turn by Brown just six yards out. Just before the break, Stebbings made a tremendous double save to keep it blank going into the break.
With 15 left on the clock disaster struck. A misguided Baylis header at the near post from a Sheringham long throw fell kindly, and from the edge of the box they found the top corner.
You may also want to watch:
Squire, suffering from cramp, and Brown were replaced by Sadler and Burke, but moments later, Loddon again failed to clear, a stray shot found an unmarked player in the box who made it 2-0.
With two minutes left, a Sadler corner to the far post was headed home by Marjoribanks to give Loddon a glimmer of hope.
- 1 'We had to take a chance': Bookshop defies the odds and launches in lockdown
- 2 Cattle farmer who was 'known across the country' dies aged 79
- 3 Collapsed footbridges replaced on popular walking route after six-year battle
- 4 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 5 Warning after 'three male youths' break into cars
- 6 Six-year-old taken to hospital after lorry collision
- 7 Farms, former rail lines and old buildings set to be sold off by council
- 8 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 9 Family 'truly moved' as crowds remember building company founder
- 10 Appeal to trace missing man who was last seen in Norwich
But deep into injury time an unlucky Baylis clearance was blocked, again fell kindly for Sheringham and the forward chipped over a diving and helpless Stebbings to seal the win.
Loddon: Stebbings; Andersen C, Baylis, Durrant, Andersen R; Knights, Crisp, Squire, Greenhalf; Marjoribanks; Brown. Subs: Sadler, Burke, Hancock
In their previous match, Loddon were beaten 3-0 by St Andrews.