Late strikes stun Loddon
Loddon Utd 1, Sheringham 3
Once again, Loddon succumbed to late goals after failing to score when on top for long periods.
With a slightly varied formation, due to injuries, Loddon set about their task with spirit and energy and looked much tighter at the back.
A corner saw Knights on the move get a touch at the near post, the ball missing the far post by inches. Good pressure from Crisp saw him win possession, find Marjoribanks, but his head on could not be converted on the turn by Brown just six yards out. Just before the break, Stebbings made a tremendous double save to keep it blank going into the break.
With 15 left on the clock disaster struck. A misguided Baylis header at the near post from a Sheringham long throw fell kindly, and from the edge of the box they found the top corner.
You may also want to watch:
Squire, suffering from cramp, and Brown were replaced by Sadler and Burke, but moments later, Loddon again failed to clear, a stray shot found an unmarked player in the box who made it 2-0.
With two minutes left, a Sadler corner to the far post was headed home by Marjoribanks to give Loddon a glimmer of hope.
- 1 Opening date revealed for community pub with 1,400 shareholders
- 2 School year group and bus passengers told to isolate after Covid case
- 3 What's opening in Waveney from May 17?
- 4 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 5 Cornish man in search for long lost Lowestoft relatives
- 6 Spate of catalytic converter thefts from vehicles sparks warning
- 7 Tariff for housebuilders to protect East Suffolk habitats
- 8 Man admits inflicting grievous bodily harm during altercation in Bungay
- 9 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 10 Limit on mourners at funerals to be lifted from May 17
But deep into injury time an unlucky Baylis clearance was blocked, again fell kindly for Sheringham and the forward chipped over a diving and helpless Stebbings to seal the win.
Loddon: Stebbings; Andersen C, Baylis, Durrant, Andersen R; Knights, Crisp, Squire, Greenhalf; Marjoribanks; Brown. Subs: Sadler, Burke, Hancock
In their previous match, Loddon were beaten 3-0 by St Andrews.