Late strikes undo battling Black Dogs

Reepham Town 5, Bungay Town 2

THE Black Dogs suffered their third Anglian Combination Division One defeat of the season, at Reepham on Saturday, with late goals again their downfall.

Twice they fell behind and twice they got in terms, Steve Batt hitting both the goals. But sloppy work aided Reepham’s third goal and two late strikes put an unbalanced slant on the scoreline.

Bungay were again without leading striker Dan Andrew, with Dale Smith, Dale Gowing and Matt Holmes also missing – but they gave as good as they got in the first half.

The Robins put a couple of early efforts wide, and Bungay’s James Youngman set up Dan Scriven for a shot on the turn which the keeper took low down.

Reepham should have scored when a forward got clear, but he volleyed over the bar. Bungay went close in the 19th minute when Kevin Riches played in a free-kick and Charlie Jones was inches from getting the touch that would have diverted it in.

The Black Dogs put together some good moves without getting a result, and Reepham went ahead in the 40th minute when a pass was intercepted. When the ball was played forward, Stephen Drake took it on to beat Gary Foyster from eight yards.

Most Read

It took Bungay only three minutes to level matters however, as a Scriven corner was bundled in at the far post by Batt.

In first-half time added on, the keeper failed to hold Craig Hunting’s deep cross and then did well to block Kevin Riches’ follow-up effort.

Reepham went ahead again four minutes into the second half as Bungay gave the ball away in a dangerous area. Foyster could only palm a shot out and Mark Gaskin was on hand to snap up the chance.

Soon after Gaskin struck a post with a 20-yard effort with Foyster beaten.

But the Black Dogs regrouped and equalised in the 70th minute, with Batt again getting the final touch from almost on the line after Hunting had headed Davies’ cross into the danger area.

Shortly after Riches forced a fine save from the keeper with a fierce 25-yard free-kick.

Reepham were soon ahead again, however, as Drake was given time to control a ball, side-step a defender and fire past Foyster.

With five minutes left Riches had a shooting chance but was off target, and Reepham made the game safe with a fourth goal in the 90th minute.

Gaskin was given time to drill a fine effort into the top corner from the edge of the area.

Sean Whiteman forced the home keeper into a fine save from a volley from out wide on the left, but in the fifth minute of added time Matthew Huckle curled a fine free-kick into the top corner for Reepham to complete the scoring.

Team: G Foyster, M Shipley, C Hunting, S Batt, S Whiteman, J Youngman (G Perez-Hunt), K Riches, R Tuffs, B Davies (G Gook), D Scriven, C Jones.

Tomorrow, Bungay visit Hindringham. The Reserves are at home to North Walsham Reserves in the second round of the League Cup (kick-off 1.30pm).