Loddon claims derby honours at Beccles


- Credit: Nick Butcher

Beccles Town 2 Loddon United 3

Loddon had an unchanged starting 11 and the luxury of a strong bench which proved its worth in a tense derby which they deservedly won by the odd goal in five.

Inside a minute, Buckingham fed Andersen and his superb cross was met by Chris Ayre at the near post. The ball hit the bar and Ayre was unable to score from the rebound.

Matt Ayre and Hancock misjudged a long ball and the Beccles forward was one-on-one but Grice stood his ground and saved well.

Grice had to come to the edge of his area to close another break, but it was Loddon who dominated possession and looked the more likely to score.

Jones and Andersen delivered crosses and used the space well.

A flowing move started by Weston, went through Summons, Andersen and Buckingham with a sweet set-up for Weston to fire over.

Most Read

A neat triangle of passes in midfield saw Parkin feed Andersen who in turn found Buckingham and Chris Ayre down the right. Being on his own, he beat one, skipped into the box and with still plenty to do, a reckless challenge from behind gave Loddon a penalty. Summons despatched coolly to put the visitors ahead on 30 minutes.

Chris almost added to the score minutes later when he flicked the ball over his head, turned and fired his volley straight at the keeper.

On 36 minutes Town forced a corner. Matt Ayre cleared the first ball, the second came in and was missed by all and found a spare forward who finished from close range to make it 1-1.

Loddon restarted on the front foot. Great control and a good chip by Andersen found Chris Ayre who controlled, turned and cheekily back heeled to set up Buckingham but his shot was blocked.

Fourteen minutes into the half, Buckingham received good applause as he was replaced by Rose.

Beccles had a couple of breaks but Hancock was on hand to sort the problem and Grice cleared.

Midway through the half, Chris Ayre was replaced by Evans to give Loddon more fresh legs up front and give the home defence little time on the ball. Evans and Rose immediately linked up to cause problems and both had half chances.

Summons still had the energy to chase down a Beccles break and mop up and Parkin was still holding the midfield, and on 72 minutes Rose popped up in the box, beat two, and put Loddon ahead.

Beccles then had to go for it. Matt Ayre was penalised for a rash challenge and Town managed a shot which went over. Hancock, having a great second half, made timely interceptions on Town’s next attacks.

Loddon had a let off when an easy home chance was headed over and Town threatened again from a free- kick blocked by Weston, and a corner diverted over from close in.

In the last minute, Evans found Summons at the second attempt. His shot was blocked but the ball fell to Rose who mis-kicked, had a second go, got a rebound off the keeper and finally buried his second and Loddon’s third.

Parkin was penalised for handball when the ball was fired at him from a yard away but fortunately the kick was fired high. More pressure down the right saw a cross and a rash tackle in the box from Matt Ayre which produced a second yellow and a converted penalty.

Loddon survived the remaining minutes of injury time to record a well-deserved and long-awaited victory over their local rivals.

For Loddon Weston was reliably sharp, Summons covered every corner of the pitch and slotted home the penalty, Parkin held the midfield, Andersen and Jones caused problems all afternoon and Rose came off the bench to score two but Musker McIntyre MoM went to Chris Ayre for his tireless running, chasing back and hold up play and earning the crucial penalty to set his side on its way to a great victory.