Loddon match abandoned

North Walsham Town 0, Loddon United 2 (Match abandoned after 55 minutes)LODDON made the journey, under protest, to North Walsham for a Friday evening kick-off, but the match ended early.

North Walsham Town 0, Loddon United 2 (Match abandoned after 55 minutes)

LODDON made the journey, under protest, to North Walsham for a Friday evening kick-off, but the match ended early.

After 55 minuntes a Town player stayed down from a tackle with what turned out to be a serious injury. An ambulance was called and after a 20-minute delay, the referee asked the teams to resume the game - only to be told by Town that they were not prepared to carry on, and the game was abandoned.

Unfortunately, these things happen in football and Loddon send their best wishes to the Town player and hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

You may also want to watch:

The game kicked off under extremely direct flood lights which made it difficult to judge distances.

Shipley rose well to head clear a Town free-kick and Collins held a shot from the right before Summons forced an error and Marjoribanks shot from well out. Town moved the ball quickly and accurately and their right winger was a constant threat. Way stretched to clear and Summons, Hancock and Oliver worked a good counter-attack.

Most Read

On 12 minutes, Summons picked up the ball in midfield, sent a lovely chip to Hancock on the right. He skipped past the full back to the by-line and hit a great cross to Wright on the near post. He slid in to put Loddon 1-0 up.

The Loddon back five stood firm. Baylis cleared one attack to Gricks, he lost and won it back, found Wright who shot from distance. Gricks then found Oliver on the left and his cross was just out of Marjoribanks' reach.

Town were still looking good going forward but when they had the ball Loddon pressed well and got men back.

On 35 minutes, Way won his challenge in the middle, the ball dropped to Summons who avoided two challenges and slipped the ball to Wright. He turned left then right and curled a superb shot into the top corner from well outside the box.

Town continued to press but were becoming frustrated by their lack of finishing and the prominence of Baylis, Way, Shipley, Andersen and Collins.

Loddon had more possession early on in the second half and Marjoribanks fired over. Baylis headed clear to Wright who went past his man with ease even when held, but the referee decided to stop play and book the offender rather than play advantage.

Shipley cleared well at the far post but then 10 minutes into the half, Oliver made a poor tackle, got booked and unfortunately the Town man stayed down.

As the game was not finished and in respect to the injured player, there was no man-of-the-match.

Loddon United: Collins, Shipley, Way, Baylis, Andersen R, Hancock, Gricks, Summons R, Wright, Marjoribanks, Oliver. Subs: Summons G, Rolfe, Sadler.

Tomorrow, second-placed Loddon entertain defending Anglian Combination champions Wroxham Reserves, who are bottom of this campaign's Premier Division

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter