Loddon return from Rovers with nothing

Dersingham Rovers 2, Loddon United 1

Loddon suffered another league defeat at Dersingham, in a scrappy affair. Both sides were guilty of sloppy passing and conceding possession far too easily.

Although Loddon held the early territorial advantage without threatening the home goal, they looked vulnerable to Dersingham’s long clearances.

Robinson came well out of his box to clear one such attack and then collected a toe-ender comfortably. On 10 minutes, Baylis won possession and fed Sadler. He swept the ball right to Crisp who beat a man and set up Brown for a wayward shot.

The same two combined to win a corner from which a good header by Summons just cleared the bar.

Hancock then won possession and found Marjoribanks. His first- time shot from all of 35 yards took everyone by surprise but failed to hit the unguarded target.

Loddon’s domination was wasted and after a decent move getting Sadler deep into Rovers’ half, he lost possession cheaply and three quick passes found the number 10 free on the edge of the box. Allegedly offside, he slotted calmly beyond Robinson to give Dersingham the lead against the run of play.

Most Read

A period of scrappy football followed. Marjoribanks was fouled and lashed out physically and verbally in pure frustration and saw yellow. The resulting free-kick saw Rovers hit the bar.

Loddon put together another decent move only to see the final cross gathered by the keeper with Brown in attendance. Robin Andersen put in a great block and set up another move which he himself got on the end of, but the last ball was just touched away.

Squire then found Crisp whose neat pass set up Marjoribanks for a curling effort just wide.

After a Loddon corner, Rovers broke quickly, but Crisp covered brilliantly. The next cross was deflected and Robinson saved for a corner. A free header hit the bar and the follow-up was met with a fierce shot from six yards which pulled a remarkable save from Robinson to keep Loddon in it.

Loddon then sussed that they ought to have Marjoribanks back to defend corners and he subsequently got his head to every one. Hancock shot over the bar just before the break.

Loddon started the second half with a speculative effort from Robin Andersen from the centre circle. It failed to even trouble the corner flag. Squire was tidy at the back, Summons played a neat reverse pass to Sadler and his shot/cross had the keeper back-peddling.

Summons and Baylis both had headers, but Rovers cleared. Crisp hit a nice cross but Brown scooped his effort over.

Rovers replied. Chris Andersen got in a great block, Loddon cleared the corner, and the home centre-half fired the next cross over the bar from close in. Panic defending ensued as the next shot hit the side netting.

Summons and Marjoribanks lost possession on halfway, Rovers broke and Robinson and Robin Andersen had to block.

Baylis then tried to control the ball wide, was easily beaten, but thankfully was well covered by Chris Andersen.

Ten minutes into the half Sadler was replaced by Burke. Within three minutes, Chris Andersen crossed for Brown. The ball fell to Burke, and with virtually his first touch he chipped into the box where Marjoribanks rose above two defenders and curled his header inside the far post.

Rovers went long again, Chris Andersen defended and Rovers played on when the ball looked out for a throw. Robin Andersen, with some clever footwork in the six-yard box, eventually cleared the danger.

Brown closed down and his opponent reacted to the challenge; both were booked. Brown then closed down the back-pass to the keeper, won possession and set up Burke for a shot from distance. It was headed away for a corner from which Summons volleyed way off-target.

More good approach play saw Crisp make good progress down the right, but Summons lost possession halfway and chased back to concede a throw. But quick passing and static defending allowed Rovers’ full-back to pick his spot from the edge of the box to regain the advantage.

The last quarter saw Rovers take the upper hand. Loddon’s attacks broke down, they were caught in possession, and Rovers had what looked a good ‘goal’ flagged offside.

Loddon’s final throw of the dice saw Robinson knock in a enticing free-kick, but Loddon failed to attack the ball and ended pointless.

Crisp did well after a nervous start, Squire was tidy at the back but Musker McIntyre MoM goes to Adam Robinson for that remarkable save to keep Loddon in it.

Team: Robinson A, Andersen C, Baylis, Squire, Andersen R, Crisp, Summons G, Hancock, Sadler, Brown, Marjoribanks. Sub: Burke.