Loddon suffer another defeat

Loddon United 1, North Walsham Town 3

After three losses in three games, it was vital that Loddon got something from this encounter with fellow no-pointers Walsham to give themselves a lift.

They should have gone one down inside the first minute when Summons lost possession in midfield. Walsham broke, beat the home defence, but fired wide of an open goal.

Loddon looked nervous and hesitant, which gave the Angels the upper hand.

A long ball saw was aimed at two forwards who appeared offside, but play was allowed to carry on and Robinson did well to save with his feet.

Walsham delivered a right-wing cross which bounced off the top of the bar, and Greenhalf cleared.

After 20 minutes, two mis-timed Loddon headers allowed the visitors space and time to slot home wide of Robinson to put them deservedly ahead.

Most Read

Loddon had barely reached the opposition penalty area before this, but the goal seemed to kick-start them into action.

Dan Andersen tried a mazy run but was outnumbered, Robin Andersen fired in a free-kick just too high for Marjoribanks.

Burke showed some nice touches on the edge of the Walsham box to set up Dan Andersen, and then Marjoribanks for shots.

Hancock received the ball back from Greenhalf and hit a shot just wide.

On the half-hour Robin Andersen swapped positions with Greenhalf and immediately looked more comfortable.

Marjoribanks and Burke both had efforts blocked, Walsham were off-target and Squire recovered when beaten and turned to put in a great tackle.

Within five minutes of the restart, a mistimed tackle by Marjoribanks earned him a red card.

The Walsham free-kick was cleared to Dan Andersen who found Greenhalf running into the box, and he finished well to equalise.

Loddon, with their tails up, continued to press and clever play between Burke and Summons ended with Summons hitting the bar with a tremendous drive.

But in Walsham’s next attack down the left, the ball was squared across the box and popped in to finish a neat move to regain the lead.

Burke chased a long ball into the corner and won a throw. He threw it onto a defender and collected the rebound, which was deemed ungentlemanly conduct and he was yellow-carded.

On 65 minutes the injured Hancock was replaced by Ayre, with the versatile Squire moving into midfield. Shortly after, Halls replaced Burke.

Ten minutes later a corner was initially saved well by Robinson, but Walsham were quickest to react and knocked in the rebound to finish off the 10 men.

Ayre put in a solid 25 minutes at the back, Dan Andersen worked hard to get in crosses from the right which went begging, and Robinson made two more excellent saves.

But Loddon were unable to get back into it after the killer third goal.

Loddon: Robinson A; Andersen C, Squire, Sayer, Greenhalf; Andersen D, Summons G, Hancock, Burke, Andersen R; Marjoribanks. Subs: Ayre M, Halls.