Ipswich Town X1 set for Crown Meadow clash
- Credit: Shirley D Whitlow
Lowestoft Town FC will make a long-awaited return to competitive football action in 11 days time.
The unveiling of the new Southern Premier Central League fixture list will see the new season kick off on Saturday, September 19 as Jamie Godbold’s men travel to Barwell on the opening day.
But, ahead of this, Lowestoft will make a competitive return to the pitch at 7.45pm on Tuesday, September 15 as The Blues face Bury Town at the Goldstar Ground – home of Felixstowe & Walton United FC – in the Turners Hyundai Suffolk Premier Cup semi final.
In accordance with The FA’s return to football guidance, the semi final encounter – which was due to be played in March before lockdown amid the continuing coronavirus crisis – is limited to a crowd of 400.
Ahead of that, Lowestoft’s pre season campaign is gathering pace – and another home friendly has now been announced.
You may also want to watch:
Next Tuesday, September 8 The Trawlerboys will entertain The Tractorboys as an Ipswich Town XI visit Crown Meadow for a prestigious friendly, with a 7.30pm kick off.
Lowestoft Town chairman Gary Keyzor told the club’s website: “Lowestoft Town FC are delighted to be able to welcome an Ipswich Town XI to Crown Meadow on September 8.
- 1 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 2 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 3 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 4 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 5 New McDonald's restaurant to open with safety measures in place
- 6 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 7 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 8 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 9 Latitude line-up reveal delayed as bosses look to learn from Liverpool test
- 10 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
“Supporters will be able to attend the game and more information about the capacity, tickets and COVID measures will be released shortly.”
On the field, a squad mixed with Blues regulars, Academy players and trialists have taken part in three pre-season matches – with the most recent game last Saturday abandoned a few minutes into the second half following a serious injury to Bowers & Pitsea striker Brad Warner, who was injured after falling awkwardly as he scored the Essex side’s third goal.
Before the intriguing Ipswich clash, Lowestoft face a trip to Felixstowe & Walton tomorrow (September 5).
With the new league campaign pitting The Blues with derby games at Leiston on Boxing Day and a Crown Meadow clash on Easter bank holiday Monday, April 5, Lowestoft will also face Needham Market away on October 27 and at home on January 23.
Ahead of the new league season, Lowestoft Town chairman Gary Keyzor said: “We look forward to seeing as many Trawlerboys supporters both home and away and trust you will ensure that you follow any and all guidelines in place throughout the season.”