Marlene is top personality
THE winner of the Bezant Cup as this year's Bungay Sports Personality of the Year is Marlene Jervis.She received the award, which honours those who have done most for sport for Bungay, on or off the field, in the past 12 months at the annual civic evening at the community centre on Friday evening from the Mayor, John Groom.
THE winner of the Bezant Cup as this year's Bungay Sports Personality of the Year is Marlene Jervis.
She received the award, which honours those who have done most for sport for Bungay, on or off the field, in the past 12 months at the annual civic evening at the community centre on Friday evening from the Mayor, John Groom.
He said it acknowledged her work as chairman of the Bungay Marathon committee for the past two years, and her membership of the committee since it was formed in 1982.
“She has assisted with the Bungay Marathon since its inception, as secretary, committee member and now chairman, and it has gone from strength to strength, bringing visitors to the town from all over the country, and put Bungay's name on the sporting calendar,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“And as chairman she has devoted an enormous amount of time to the marathon.”
Mr Groom also presented a highly commended certificate to Dominic Belasario, chairman of Bungay Bowls Club, who he said arranged tournaments, secured sponsorships, and worked in every way possible to ensure the success of the club. And he praised the dedicated work he put in.
- 1 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 2 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 3 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 4 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 5 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
- 6 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight
- 9 Do you have rare East Anglian apples growing in your garden?
- 10 Can you help bring festive cheer to children in care this Christmas?
The award of the Bezant Cup to Mrs Jervis made it a unique family double - husband Jim won the trophy in 1998, also for his work for the Bungay Black Dog Running Club and Bungay Marathon committee, making them the only couple since its inception both to become winners.
She said afterwards she was pleased to receive it not as a personal award but on behalf of the marathon committee, which did a lot of work behind the scenes to make the event a success.
“I have been involved with 26 marathons,” she said, and praised the teamwork involved.
This year's marathon last month was the latest success, despite the steady snowfall which made it a particular test for the 700+ runners in the full marathon, half marathon and fun run, demonstrating how well it is organised.