Martin is hero for Norwich City
Norwich City 1, Brentford 0 Wembley winner Chris Martin, from Beccles, steered Norwich City into the second round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy with the only goal of the tie at Carrow Road on Tuesday night.
Norwich City 1, Brentford 0
Wembley winner Chris Martin, from Beccles, steered Norwich City into the second round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy with the only goal of the tie at Carrow Road on Tuesday night.
Martin, who scored in Luton's 3-2 triumph in the final of the same competition against Scunthorpe last season, struck after 30 minutes to give the Canaries victory in front of a very healthy crowd of 12,540.
The decisive moment came when Martin, playing as part of a three-man attack, took a pass from Maric, cut inside on to his right foot and rifled in a low drive off the inside of a post from outside the penalty area.
You may also want to watch:
City could have been ahead twice in the early stages when Martin intercepted a terrible backpass from Brentford skipper Kevin O'Connor but poked the ball across the face of the goal, then when Tom Adeyemi intercepted a poor clearance by goalkeeper Lewis Price and his goalbound effort from 40 yards was cleared off the line by Karleigh Osborne.
Martin almost had a second for City when he headed wide from Michael Spillane's cross two minutes later.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 3 Let's staycation in...Beccles
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Suffolk
- 6 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 7 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 8 New project launched to restore south Norfolk countryside
- 9 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 10 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
Brentford came into the contest much more in the second half, but their late efforts failed to take the tie to a penalty shoot-out.