More woe for Bungay

Bungay Town 2, Long Stratton 3THE Black Dogs' disappointing run continued on Saturday as they were beaten by the odd goal of five in their first home Anglian Combination Division One game for six weeks.

Bungay Town 2, Long Stratton 3

THE Black Dogs' disappointing run continued on Saturday as they were beaten by the odd goal of five in their first home Anglian Combination Division One game for six weeks.

Having equalised a first-half Stratton goal, they conceded another within two minutes and the visitors, playing for time for the final half-hour, grabbed a clinching one with eight minutes left.

It leaves Bungay looking over their shoulders to the bottom rungs of the table, having been second briefly in September.

You may also want to watch:

Shaun Whiteman, switched to the right of midfield, fired wide from a half-chance after four minutes. And when the visitors threatened, Sean Payne got in a fine interception to snuff out the danger.

In the 13th minute Justin Doughty had a half-chance when the ball unexpectedly fell to him following a left-wing cross, but he could only stab it wide. Then Myles Clarke had a chance when the keeper hesitated going for a high, bouncing ball but he could not clear the keeper with his lob.

Most Read

Stratton saw a header go wide and another long-range shot was also off target, but they took the lead in the 37th minute as they broke quickly down the left and Barnes scored from the cross with a far-post header.

Soon after Folkard hit the post after the home defence failed to clear a corner, then Flint fired over form a good position.

Dan Lowe was not far wide with an effort early in the second half as Bungay fought to get on terms, but they had a left-off

soon afterwards as Bartram somehow headed over the bar from three yards following a corner.

Shane Ward had a chance for the Black Dogs but his lob was not high enough to beat the keeper, and Robert Long was called on to deal with a good Stratton effort soon after.

Kevin Talbot came on for Bungay for his first game for two seasons, and with his first touch fired narrowly over from Lowe's cross. But Bungay were level in their next attack as the visitors' defence failed to clear a cross from Ward and Clarke prodded home his sixth goal of the season.

But hopes of a win were dashed two minutes later as Barnes drilled home a low 20-yard effort through a crowded penalty area.

Talbot put an effort wide as Bungay pressed forward, but Stratton got a third with eight minutes left, Robinson stealing unmarked into the six-yard box to score with a simple header.

Bungay didn't give up, and two minutes into injury time Payne headed a second from Paul Hunter's free-kick - but it was the last action of the game.

Team: R Long, M Shipley, C Hunting, S Payne, D Lowe, S Whiteman (K Talbot), P Hunter, J Stokeld, J Doughty (B Davies), M Clarke, S Ward.

Bungay have no game tomorrow but on Sunday they are playing in the second round of the National FA Sunday Cup this weekend, at the Maltings Meadow.

They will meet Royal Falcons FC from Plaistow in London. Originally the tie was due to be played at Tilbury FC's ground in South Essex but due to complications with the availability of their pitch it has been switched to Bungay.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter