Night football suits Bungay ladies as they bang in seven goals


- Credit: Archant

With outstanding fixtures beginning to back up, Bungay Ladies managed to arrange a midweek evening match with title rivals North Walsham.

The team tend to prefer a night game and results this season have confirmed that.

And it was Bungay who started on top, applying good early pressure and going ahead in only the second minute when winger Lauren Purling got the ball in the net.

Walsham switched on and started to get more into the match, pressing the ball forward and creating numerous attacks. Bungay conceded a couple of quick free-kicks but Walsham didn’t capitalise.

Then in the 13th minute Walsham’s attack were through one on one with the Bungay keeper and the ball was skilfully played around her and into the back of the net.

The game was end to end and the crowd were loving the non-stop action – a minute after Walsham scored Bungay’s Nicky Hazell fired a shot against the crossbar. Walsham’s defence scrambled to clear, but Purling was there to tap it over the line.

Midfielder Laura Holden then battled through Walsham’s defence in the 18th minute and scored a third for Bungay.

Most Read

On 33 minutes Walsham managed to get a break and found themselves on the scoresheet once again to make it 3-2 to Bungay at half-time.

Bungay started the second half much as the first, getting the ball forward into dangerous areas. An early attack down the right by Lacey Andrews saw her pushed wide of goal. A few minutes later Hannah Waters shot straight at the keeper.

On 58 minutes an Andrews shot was parried by Walsham’s keeper and the ball ended up in the net.

Six minutes later Waters looped a shot up and over the Walsham keeper but this was dramatically cleared by the Walsham defence.

A minute later an Andrews through ball fell to the feet of Waters who this time calmly slotted the ball beyond the keeper.

Andrews claimed her second of the match making it 6-2 Bungay.

Another Bungay goal came when Holden played a ball through to Waters to score her second of the match.

The last minute of the match saw Waters cross into the box but Holden was unable to evade the Walsham goalkeeper with her shot and she calmly collected.

Final score: 7-2 Bungay.