No stopping the ladies as they hit six again without reply
- Credit: Archant
A last-minute venue change for their midweek league fixture saw Bungay Ladies beat Kirkley & Pakefield 6-0 at Lowestoft Town.
Bungay started well, attacking from the kick-off. On seven minutes Bungay midfielder Laura Holden threaded a pass to Lacey Andrews whose shot went high over the Kirkley keeper and dropped into the net.
A couple of minutes later Bungay scored again. A Nicky Hazell ball was received by Hannah Waters who sent the ball across goal and into the far corner.
Bungay were getting the ball forward well and creating attack after attack. With 21 minutes gone Andrews sent another looping shot goalwards but it was easily collected by the Kirkley keeper. Then Hannah Waters had another shot but again the keeper collected.
Still Bungay continued to attack, Andrews firing a low shot with pace towards goal, but Kirkley’s keeper reacted quickly to save. Kirkley were trying to press forward but Bungay’s defence was working well and blocking the attacking runs.
You may also want to watch:
Just past the half-hour mark, Andrews took another shot from range which looped over the keeper.
Play was still all with Bungay and after 41 minutes winger Lauren Purling played a ball to Waters who drove her shot low into the far corner to net her second of the match and Bungay’s fourth.
- 1 BMW overturns in ditch after coming off A146
- 2 Global innovation award for farm that harnesses energy from cow muck
- 3 Plans for investment and upgraded facilities at Beccles Quay
- 4 Backlash against raw sewage vote as local hotspots revealed
- 5 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
- 6 Fire crews called to rural spot after horse found in ditch
- 7 Bungay Wave set to ripple through town in support of flooding victims
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 10 Laptop stolen from parked car in Beccles
The home side finished the half strongly and a minute from half-time an Andrews shot was saved, the rebound from Waters was saved, but defender Hannah Jones stepped up and tapped the ball into the net.
After 55 minutes Andrews fired another long-range shot from the right-hand edge of the 18-yard box, the ball finishing in the net.
On 67 minutes another Andrews shot went just wide of the post and a few minutes later a free-kick was hit by Andrews over the Kirkley wall, but was easily collected by the keeper.
The shots on goal continued as the half wore on but Kirkley’s keeper was alert and continued to keep them in the game.
Most of Bungay’s shots were going straight to her hands.
Despite the dominance of Bungay throughout the half, no further goals were scored and Bungay had to settle for a 6-0 victory.