Notable performances from Dereham Runners during a packed schedule
- Credit: PA
Eleven members of Dereham Runners AC took part in the Wroxham 5k road race, the second of a series of three midweek evening races which form part of the Leathes Prior Grand Prix.
Carol Devlin and Emma Potter-Campbell both took home silverware, finishing in 20.09 and 21.28 respectively.
Carol was first finisher in the F50-54 age category, and Emma third in F45-49. Overall the fastest Dereham Runner was Louise Juby in 19.34, shaving 35 seconds off her previous 5k personal best. Other DRAC runners: were Lacey Bareham (20.04), Andrew Hood (20.24), Michael Barrett (22.38), Philip Websdale (23.31), Grace Bird (23.56), David Olley (26.24), Paula Olley (29.03) and Hazel Cason (31.24).
Several Dereham Runners members braved soaring temperatures to compete in various races. Emma Potter-Campbell entered Run for the Bus, a new 5k cross country event held in the grounds of Taverham Hall, crossing the line in 21.34 to finish in 15th place overall, and first female in her age category. Husband Rory Campbell finished in 28.41.
Elsewhere Chris Hosier completed a sprint distance triathlon at Fritton Lake Country Park, completing the 750m swim, 20k bike and 5km run in one hour 27 minutes, thus notching up a new personal best over that distance.
You may also want to watch:
Jake Stearman, 17, finished first at Norwich Parkrun, completing the 5k course in just 16.36 ahead of 500 other participants. Over the same weekend veteran Jacquie Wood completed Race to the King, a picturesque ultra run along the South Downs Way. The double marathon endurance run is split over two days, with Jacquie covering the 53.5 mile distance in 15.02.29. Ian Odgers ran the Dartford Midnight Marathon in five hours six minutes, taking his astonishing total of marathons run to 107.
Entries are now open for the annual Dereham 5k Town Race on Sunday, August 20.
- 1 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 2 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 3 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 4 Creator of mystery Covehithe statue reveals where it went
- 5 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 6 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 7 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 8 Stars of Norfolk and Waveney 2021: A look back at last year's winner
- 9 MP still hopes to host surgeries in person after colleague killed
- 10 New brewery restaurant opens for tapas nights, afternoon tea and more
Four hundred places are available for the adult race, for which entrants must be age 12 or over. The 5k starts at 9.15am, with a 1k fun run for kids held afterwards on the recreation road. The entry fee for the adult race is £11 (£13 unaffiliated) in advance, or £13 (£15) on the day.
For further details and online entry visit www.derehamrunners.co.uk