Opponents too tough for Dolphins
Beccles Dolphins 12, Norwich Union 17BECCLES Dolphins rugby team lost to an experienced NU side at Beef Meadow on Saturday.After an easy win in the warm-up game the previous week, Dolphins went into this friendly against the higher league opposition, hoping to cause an upset, unfortunately they fell just short.
Beccles Dolphins 12, Norwich Union 17
BECCLES Dolphins rugby team lost to an experienced NU side at Beef Meadow on Saturday.
After an easy win in the warm-up game the previous week, Dolphins went into this friendly against the higher league opposition, hoping to cause an upset, unfortunately they fell just short.
Norwich Union started the game well and their heavier pack were soon on top. This resulted in two early tries from close-range scrums.
Dolphins began to realise that the game to play would be with pace and keep away from set pieces.
With young back row players Goode and Woodard, and Yeowell at scrum half playing well, Dolphins came close to scoring. This good work was undone when NU scored a fine try despite some good de fence from Boon and Pennington.
- 1 'A very special place' - New mayor privileged to serve town
- 2 'We've had parents in tears' - The church fighting school uniform poverty
- 3 Call to back campaign to win £20,000 of primary school sports gear
- 4 Vandals damage fence and gate in night-time incident
- 5 New hair salon opens up with its very own puppy on the premises
- 6 Town's walk and talk scheme helps locals connect to the community
- 7 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 Data reveals 'inadequate' Suffolk schools starting again as academies
- 10 Snap survey - Patients ignored health conditions after GP waits
The game began to even out in the second half and as the NU players began to tire Dolphins enjoyed a 'purple patch'. After good work from Carpenter and Hadridge, Dolphins got close to the line and from this the White Horse man of the match Alex Pennington used his strength to score.
Dolphins scored again when Fenn went over from a quick tap penalty. Soon after NU looked to have sealed the win when the outside centre broke the line and looked to be clear only for a fantastic cover tackle from rookie winger Larkworthy to foil him. Later on full back Sam Driver went on a mazy run from just outside his own 22 and as he was approaching the try line was controversially called back by a touch judge call for a foot in touch.
This game was a useful build-up for the coming season with notable performances from Davey Duruk, Knock, Maere and Puxley, but what the Dolphins management may have learnt is that a balance of youth and experience is what is required for a top-spot finish in the Merit Table league.