Opponents too tough for Dolphins
Beccles Dolphins 12, Norwich Union 17BECCLES Dolphins rugby team lost to an experienced NU side at Beef Meadow on Saturday.After an easy win in the warm-up game the previous week, Dolphins went into this friendly against the higher league opposition, hoping to cause an upset, unfortunately they fell just short.
Beccles Dolphins 12, Norwich Union 17
BECCLES Dolphins rugby team lost to an experienced NU side at Beef Meadow on Saturday.
After an easy win in the warm-up game the previous week, Dolphins went into this friendly against the higher league opposition, hoping to cause an upset, unfortunately they fell just short.
Norwich Union started the game well and their heavier pack were soon on top. This resulted in two early tries from close-range scrums.
You may also want to watch:
Dolphins began to realise that the game to play would be with pace and keep away from set pieces.
With young back row players Goode and Woodard, and Yeowell at scrum half playing well, Dolphins came close to scoring. This good work was undone when NU scored a fine try despite some good de fence from Boon and Pennington.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 2 Diversions in place as water main works take place in Loddon
- 3 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 4 Special woodland event to remember those we have lost
- 5 Stunning swan photo shot in Norfolk gains national recognition
- 6 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 7 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 8 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 9 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 10 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
The game began to even out in the second half and as the NU players began to tire Dolphins enjoyed a 'purple patch'. After good work from Carpenter and Hadridge, Dolphins got close to the line and from this the White Horse man of the match Alex Pennington used his strength to score.
Dolphins scored again when Fenn went over from a quick tap penalty. Soon after NU looked to have sealed the win when the outside centre broke the line and looked to be clear only for a fantastic cover tackle from rookie winger Larkworthy to foil him. Later on full back Sam Driver went on a mazy run from just outside his own 22 and as he was approaching the try line was controversially called back by a touch judge call for a foot in touch.
This game was a useful build-up for the coming season with notable performances from Davey Duruk, Knock, Maere and Puxley, but what the Dolphins management may have learnt is that a balance of youth and experience is what is required for a top-spot finish in the Merit Table league.