Pair hit out for early ton
A second century opening stand between Norfolk starlet Chris Andersen and David Harmer secured another winning draw for Hales against Downham A. Hales dominated the game with bat and ball but narrowly missed out again on full points as the visitors hung on.
A second century opening stand between Norfolk starlet Chris Andersen and David Harmer secured another winning draw for Hales against Downham A.
Hales dominated the game with bat and ball but narrowly missed out again on full points as the visitors hung on.
Andersen and Harmer had to be patient and solid against some exceptionally disciplined bowling from Downham. The bowlers bowled tight lines and gave nothing away as the fielders chipped away as the maidens mounted up.
With a slow run rate on a seaming wicket Harmer took the attack to Downham with some powerful batting and some huge straight sixes.
You may also want to watch:
As the Downham attack became demoralised with no breakthrough Harmer and Andersen began to dominate.
The opening stand of 118 came to an end as Harmer fell for an excellent 65.
- 1 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 2 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 3 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 4 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 5 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 6 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
- 9 Man on walking tour of UK's coastline 'met with so much love' in Suffolk
- 10 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
Andersen reached another fine half-century a few overs later before being dismissed for 54.
With runs on the board and wickets in hand the Hales middle order cruised to 218 for 4 off 46 overs.
P Squire (20), M Ramsdale (24 not out), A Jones (17) and D Andersen (24 not out) were the other contributors.
Downham's reply never really got going as they limped through their 46 overs, reaching just 117 for 8 against some quality Hales bowling.
Cornish was given a rare opportunity with the ball and he didn't disappoint as he removed the opener and Downham's Australian overseas at No 3, both well caught behind.
More inspirational fielding from point by Cornish took another Downham wicket as he was electric in the field again.
Week after week Cornish saves big runs and causes all sorts of problems for the batsman as they are convinced they have got the ball past him, only for him to gather the ball and launch it at the stumps with pin-point accuracy.
Steve Rowe and Matt Lovick then chipped in with two wickets each to leave Hales on the verge of another win, but the tail-end just managed to hold on.
Another spirited display from Hales keeps them mixing with the top half of the table.
MP Cornish Driveway Specialists LTD man of the match goes to Harmer for taking control of the innings with his 65.