Penalty salvages a point

Bungay Town 2, Gayton United 2A penalty deep into injury time salvaged a point for Bungay on Saturday and extended their unbeaten run in the Anglian Combination Division One to seven games.

Bungay Town 2, Gayton United 2

A penalty deep into injury time salvaged a point for Bungay on Saturday and extended their unbeaten run in the Anglian Combination Division One to seven games.

They just about deserved a share of the spoils. Generally it was a below-par performance by the Black Dogs, but Gayton belied their lowly position - they have won only once so far - with a solid performance and Bunting in particular gave the home defence plenty to think about.

With Mattishall also drawing at home and Horsford being beaten, Bungay retained second place in the table.

You may also want to watch:

Gayton took the game to Bungay in the opening stages and Paul Hunter was forced to head behind for a corner to snuff out one attack.

But the home side moved ahead in the 13th minute as Danny Wilby was fouled on the left of the area and Neil Renaut headed home Luke Field's free-kick at the far post.

Most Read

But hopes that Bungay would take the game on from there were not realised.

Gayton always threatened going forward, and after offside had thwarted two raids they equalised in the 25th minutes. Nick Bunting worked his way through the home defence with no one getting in a tackle and scored with a low shot across Jimmy Bligh.

Town went close to regaining the lead soon after when good approach work ended with Wilby firing in an effort the keeper did well to turn over the bar.

From the corner the full-back cleared his lines and the attack ended with Ed Collins' overhead kick being comfortably taken by he keeper.

A good Bungay moved saw the keeper do well to clutch a low shot from Field and then a drive by Field curled wide following a fine ball by Hunter which enabled Collins to set up the chance.

Two minutes into the second half Hunter netted with a close-range header but it was disallowed for offside, then the same player struck the Gayton bar with a free-kick 20 yards out.

Most of the good football was coming from the home side and Collins and Wilby combined to set up another shooting chance for Field which flew wide.

Wilby brought a fine diving save from the keeper and substitute Ash Ling got in a shot on the turn which as straight at the keeper.

The Black Dogs were playing better in the second half, and it was probably against the run of play that Gayton took the lead.

The home defence got in a mess coping with a scramble following a free-kick and Chris Maslin stabbed the ball past Bligh.

Collins was wide with one effort and substitute Cai King ended another fine move with a shot that was only just off target.

But just as it looked as if Bungay's run was coming to an end, they mounted one last attack deep into injury time.

Collins was brought down as he went to take the ball round the keeper, and Hunter's spot kick was perfectly placed, low into the corner, to earn a point.

Tomorrow, Bungay visit Caister for a league game.

Bungay: J Blight, M Harvey, C Hunting, L Henwood (D Lowe), T Daniels, J McFarlane (C King), P Hunter, L Field, N Renaut, E Collins (A Ling), D Wilby.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter