Plate trip was so difficult
Beccles Bowls club’s Denny Plate match against Essex County, which had been postponed due to bad weather in Southend two weeks ago, was played on Saturday.
In a tight game, Essex County came out on top by nine shots.
Rink scores, home: R Willoughby, R Denny, A Clarke and J Catchpole 10; I Middlemast 21. A Twomey, S Cook, M Cole and D Wood 24; N Jackson 10.
Away: G Catchpole, D Mann, B Harber and M Todd 16; S Cooper 18, R Adams, G Ramsbottom, D Ramsbottom and I Catchpole 13; D Morris 23.
Heavy snow in Southend from midday onwards led to the Beccles players having a very difficult journey home as the snow preceded them until they were well into Suffolk.
You may also want to watch:
The 100-mile journey took one car almost six hours while the second car to arrive home took over 10 hours. The players in the third car stayed overnight in Colchester before returning home next day.
Beccles Ladies lost their second-round Yetton Plate match to North Walsham by 86-55.
- 1 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 2 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 3 Manager's tears of happiness at hotel accolade
- 4 Refurbishment of 'incredibly important structure' confirmed
- 5 Town's post office to close within a month
- 6 Care home bosses welcome proposed roll-out of rapid covid tests
- 7 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 8 Theatre to end first socially-distanced season with award-winning duo
- 9 Six million PPE items arriving in Suffolk found to be unsafe
- 10 Man was found dead in wooded area after battle with alcoholism, inquest hears
In the Mixed County League on Sunday Beccles B beat Lowestoft Rail by 89-64 (5.5 points to 1.5).
Rink scores, home: J Ackland-Snow, R Ward, T Wright and A Ward 19; I Platford 19. R Clarke, D Mann, D Catchpole and G Smith 18; P Curtis 12.
Away: S Greenslade, R Scrall, D Pye and M Draper 21; G Fellingham 22. R Winterton, R Swarbrick, L Winterton and J Whyte 31; D Brearley 11.
The A team’s match against Mid-Suffolk was postponed because of heavy overnight snow in Stowmarket.