Poor finish costs Beccles RFC dearly
Beccles 15, Rochford Hundred 29
RUGBY: Beccles threw away a good chance of picking up their first league win of the season when they entertained unbeaten Rochford at Beef Meadow.
After dominating the first 60 minutes, Beccles put in a poor finish to the game to lose.
Hinsley and Wilson returned from injury to replace Pennington and Maeer.
In the backs, Calver came in at centre and Hoffman returned on the bench. Beccles wore their new shirts for the first time in a home game.
You may also want to watch:
They thanked Musker McIntyre Estate Agents and Sprake and Kingsley for their sponsorship of the shirts.
Beccles started the game well and were quickly on top in the set pieces. Some good driving play by the forwards took the play deep into the Rochford half.
- 1 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 2 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 3 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 4 Woman in 20s suffers serious leg injuries in late night crash
- 5 Four men arrested after teenager robbed
- 6 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 7 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 8 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 9 New McDonald's restaurant to open with safety measures in place
- 10 Theatre group to put on Joseph show - 17 months after original date
Rob Wilson picked up the ball and powered his way over for the opening score.
Wade missed the conversion but added a penalty to stretch the lead.
Payne was sent to the sin bin for a late tackle and Rochford were able to take advantage of the extra man and score a converted try. Beccles got back on top again and pinned the opposition in their own half.
The pressure soon told with another try. The ball was recycled well and was fed to Wade, who was cutting a good line. He was tackled just short of the line but got back to his feet to score. He added the conversion.
Rochford managed another try before the half-time break. They broke off the back of a scrum and created the overlap to score. This gave a half-time score of 15–12.
The first 20 minutes of the second half was an even affair with neither side taking the chances they created.
As the game moved in to the last 20 minutes Rix was sent to the sin bin. Rochford added a penalty to draw the scores level.
With Beccles a man down, Rochford threw everything at Beccles and were rewarded with a try.
Beccles tried hard to come back and had chances to score that were not taken.
As the game drew to a conclusion it became very open and Rochford added another try to rob Beccles of a much-deserved losing bonus point.
This gave a final score of 29-15.
Musker McIntyre man of the match was Porter.
Beccles now have a week off from league action when they host St Albans in the EDF Cup.
They will be looking for a victory to get their season on track.