Remblance hat-trick sees Beccles progress in cup

Westerfield 2, Beccles Town 3

BECCLES Town took their first steps to a return to Portman Road, a stage they graced so successfully two years ago, when they made their first visit to Westerfield in the Suffolk Senior Cup.

They returned home with a 3-2 win, courtesy of a stunning hat-trick by Alan Remblance, to progress into round two and the reward of a home tie against Melton St Avoroy.

Westerfield started the game the stronger and hit a post on five minutes, and Cable in the visitors’ goal made a fine save from a fierce drive soon afterwards.

McMorran gave Beccles some hope when his header from a corner drifted wide.

Westerfield were dominating now, but Roberts, McMorran, Greengrass and Myhill held firm. The rest of the half belonged to the home side. Beccles’ best chance came after good work by Waterman set up Martin, but the ball was cleared.

Just before half-time Beccles gave away a needless penalty, Peters being yellow carded for his challenge. Sandaling put the home side 1-0 up at half-time.

Most Read

At the beginning of the second half both sides were struggling to gain the initiative.

Then the game was turned completely on its head. First a well-worked corner routine involving Waterman picked out Remblance, whose header brought the sides level.

Not content with the equaliser, Remblance and Beccles then quickly added a second, courtesy of a stunning 25-yard right-foot volley that crashed into the back of the net.

While the crowd were drawing breath and contemplating what they had just seen, Remblance completed his hat-trick with another volley – with only 15 minutes of the second half completed.

The hosts had no choice but to push people forward in search of a quick reply.

This left gaps, and Barnard headed over when well placed. Woods and King were introduced as Beccles brought on fresh legs.

A grandstand finish was ensured when Westerfield added a second after Beccles failed to clear their lines.

Woods then had a glorious chance to put the home side out of the game, but this was spurned. Then Craig Peters was sent off for two bookable offences, leaving Beccles to see out the last 10 minutes and record a fine 3-2 victory.

Tomorrow, Beccles return to College Meadow for a home game against Brandon, 2.30pm kick-off.

The Reserves travel to Swaffham Reserves.