Rough justice on weakened Barsham outfit


- Credit: PA

Barsham played their last league game of the season away to high-flying Oulton Broad on a very hot and sunny afternoon on a Normanston Park pitch that had goalmouths with no grass, just dust.

After two weeks without a game, just 11 players available – and one of those technically on the injury list – and no goalkeeper, Barsham manager Nick Holmes did not have many options. Full credit to the 11 who turned up as they played exceptionally well in the circumstances.

In the first half Barsham matched the home side in every department. As it was his last league game Josh Woolnough was made captain for the day in recognition of his 10 or more years’ service to the club.

Lee Squires played in goal and made some superb saves. In the first half he saved well when an Oulton Broad striker shot from three yards out. The back four of Jimmy Pepperell, Dan Johnstone, Matt Fiske and James Ruff were solid as a rock in the first half, well supported by the midfield. Fiske and Johnstone formed a great partnership in the centre of defence with Pepperell and Ruff playing well in the full-back positions. In midfield were Matt King, Mark Nobbs, Jamie Ingram and Ollie Cook with Woolnough and Luke Ellis were in attack.

Oulton Broad played some excellent football throughout the whole game. Ingram came closest to scoring in the first half when his goalbound shot struck his own player Cook preventing Barsham from taking the lead.

Oulton Broad, with substitutes to introduce, came up trumps scoring midway through the half when their left winger broke free. Squires made a spectacular full stretch save, pushing the ball around the far post to keep it at 1-0.

Soon after a goalbound shot was saved well at the near post but unfortunately the ball bobbled away from the keeper’s hands and a striker was on hand to gratefully score on the line.

Most Read

In the end it was the tiring Barsham players who could do no more to prevent the home side wrapping up the match.

For the final 15 minutes Ruff went in goal, unfortunately conceding two further goals. It was a disappointing result for the Barsham manager who could unfortunately do nothing more about it.

Final score 4-0 to Oulton Broad. Barsham have now completed this season’s league fixtures.