Sailors battle it out in Norfolk Open
SAILING: A south-easterly force four wind provided fast racing conditions for at Beccles Amateur Sailing Club, as eight competitors vied in the Norfolk Open on Sunday.
There were 86 Norfolk Dinghies built by Herbert Woods of Potter Heigham from 1931 until the last one built in 1968 and remarkably many still sailing regularly at Beccles.
OOD Richard Deller set three different courses testing crews to the full and to provide entertainment to those on the riverbank.
In the first race Kevin and Elena Edwards in Minnie got away to a good start, extending their lead to win comfortably.
Jo Edwards and Shirley Roll in Bungle had to make do with third from a promising start as they were past by Wendy Bush and Ray Johnson in Coot who took second.
After a general recall in Race Two Robert Gorbould and Graham Alden in Chuph forged ahead only to take the fleet wide around number three allowing Daniel Cripps and Harry Shipley in Bacchante to take the inside line, into the lead.
Eventually, Edwards with some masterful sailing overtook, to take first overall, and he had to settle for second with Coot third.
- 1 7 of the prettiest cafes in Suffolk
- 2 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers need to know about this week
- 3 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 4 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 5 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 6 Estate agent hosting auction for air ambulance appeal
- 7 Bosses of Worlingham Hall admit failing to comply with fire safety notice
- 8 Appeal for more Suffolk blood donors to prevent stocks running low
- 9 Vandals smash lights in criminal damage at east Suffolk park
- 10 Man freed from vehicle and taken to hospital following crash
With Bacchante over on the final race of the day and another good start by Chuph, Coot led the fleet around followed by Minnie.
A close finish for third between Richard Salisbury and Jonathan Blankley in Shanderlee and Bacchante ensued with the latter doing just enough to take third overall.
On Sunday, Beccles Amateur Sailing Club is having an open day and would welcome anyone wishing to learn more about dinghy sailing to come and try it.
You will be guaranteed a friendly welcome.
Norfolk One Design Open Results
Race One (7): 1 Minnie (K Edwards and E Edwards), 2 Coot (W Bush and R Johnson), 3 Bungle (J Edwards and S Roll).
Race Two (8): 1 Minnie, 2 Bacchante (D Cripps and H Shipley), 3 Coot.
Race Three (8): 1 Coot, 2 Minnie, 3 Bacchante. Overall Result@ 1 Minnie, 2 Coot, 3 Bacchante.