Sailors battle it out in Norfolk Open
SAILING: A south-easterly force four wind provided fast racing conditions for at Beccles Amateur Sailing Club, as eight competitors vied in the Norfolk Open on Sunday.
There were 86 Norfolk Dinghies built by Herbert Woods of Potter Heigham from 1931 until the last one built in 1968 and remarkably many still sailing regularly at Beccles.
OOD Richard Deller set three different courses testing crews to the full and to provide entertainment to those on the riverbank.
In the first race Kevin and Elena Edwards in Minnie got away to a good start, extending their lead to win comfortably.
Jo Edwards and Shirley Roll in Bungle had to make do with third from a promising start as they were past by Wendy Bush and Ray Johnson in Coot who took second.
You may also want to watch:
After a general recall in Race Two Robert Gorbould and Graham Alden in Chuph forged ahead only to take the fleet wide around number three allowing Daniel Cripps and Harry Shipley in Bacchante to take the inside line, into the lead.
Eventually, Edwards with some masterful sailing overtook, to take first overall, and he had to settle for second with Coot third.
- 1 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 2 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 3 Can you match a nurse's daily step count?
- 4 'World’s highest qualified merchant seamen' dies aged 62
- 5 Elections 2021: Framlingham and Beccles by-election candidates published
- 6 'Magical' Southwold holidays inspire children's author's latest book
- 7 Thieves target boats on Broads and local rivers
- 8 How to pay your respects to Prince Philip around East Suffolk
- 9 Police called after large fight breaks out in Beccles
- 10 Elections 2021: Suffolk police commissioner candidates published
With Bacchante over on the final race of the day and another good start by Chuph, Coot led the fleet around followed by Minnie.
A close finish for third between Richard Salisbury and Jonathan Blankley in Shanderlee and Bacchante ensued with the latter doing just enough to take third overall.
On Sunday, Beccles Amateur Sailing Club is having an open day and would welcome anyone wishing to learn more about dinghy sailing to come and try it.
You will be guaranteed a friendly welcome.
Norfolk One Design Open Results
Race One (7): 1 Minnie (K Edwards and E Edwards), 2 Coot (W Bush and R Johnson), 3 Bungle (J Edwards and S Roll).
Race Two (8): 1 Minnie, 2 Bacchante (D Cripps and H Shipley), 3 Coot.
Race Three (8): 1 Coot, 2 Minnie, 3 Bacchante. Overall Result@ 1 Minnie, 2 Coot, 3 Bacchante.