Sailors battle it out in Norfolk Open
SAILING: A south-easterly force four wind provided fast racing conditions for at Beccles Amateur Sailing Club, as eight competitors vied in the Norfolk Open on Sunday.
There were 86 Norfolk Dinghies built by Herbert Woods of Potter Heigham from 1931 until the last one built in 1968 and remarkably many still sailing regularly at Beccles.
OOD Richard Deller set three different courses testing crews to the full and to provide entertainment to those on the riverbank.
In the first race Kevin and Elena Edwards in Minnie got away to a good start, extending their lead to win comfortably.
Jo Edwards and Shirley Roll in Bungle had to make do with third from a promising start as they were past by Wendy Bush and Ray Johnson in Coot who took second.
You may also want to watch:
After a general recall in Race Two Robert Gorbould and Graham Alden in Chuph forged ahead only to take the fleet wide around number three allowing Daniel Cripps and Harry Shipley in Bacchante to take the inside line, into the lead.
Eventually, Edwards with some masterful sailing overtook, to take first overall, and he had to settle for second with Coot third.
- 1 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 2 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 3 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 4 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 5 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 6 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 7 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 8 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
- 9 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 10 Man on walking tour of UK's coastline 'met with so much love' in Suffolk
With Bacchante over on the final race of the day and another good start by Chuph, Coot led the fleet around followed by Minnie.
A close finish for third between Richard Salisbury and Jonathan Blankley in Shanderlee and Bacchante ensued with the latter doing just enough to take third overall.
On Sunday, Beccles Amateur Sailing Club is having an open day and would welcome anyone wishing to learn more about dinghy sailing to come and try it.
You will be guaranteed a friendly welcome.
Norfolk One Design Open Results
Race One (7): 1 Minnie (K Edwards and E Edwards), 2 Coot (W Bush and R Johnson), 3 Bungle (J Edwards and S Roll).
Race Two (8): 1 Minnie, 2 Bacchante (D Cripps and H Shipley), 3 Coot.
Race Three (8): 1 Coot, 2 Minnie, 3 Bacchante. Overall Result@ 1 Minnie, 2 Coot, 3 Bacchante.