Second-place Matt leads Waveney Valley runners home
- Credit: Archant
Waveney Valley Athletic Club had a large turnout of seniors in the Suffolk Winter Cross-Country League staged at Nowton Park, Bury St Edmunds.
Another great all round effort resulted in the team stretching its lead at the top of the table.
As well as the club’s regulars, five members made their league debuts: Leon Bernasconi, Andy Ayers, Matt Plummer, David Joyce and Layla Bedford all put in creditable performances over the five miles.
Waveney’s Matt Jefferies put in another superb performance in leading the club home, finishing second overall in 31:37. Dominic Oliver recording his highest position this season, third with 31:48. Lee Cook was in contention for a top-five finish but twisted his ankle, finishing seventh in 32:41. The rest of the A squad all finished: Mark Thompson 25th, Martin Horlock 26th, Dylan Neeve 27th and Jay Lingwood 29th. The team finished first.
For the ladies, it was good to see Sam Lines back to race fitness in finishing 52nd in 36:59. Rose Nicholson, who was third in the senior ladies, finished 71st overall in 38:33.
Karim Ouaddane clocked 36:00 in 32nd, securing second in the V50s. Team captain Chris Pimlott was over two minutes faster than his time of last season. Peter Andrews was 92nd in 39:55. The combined ladies and men’s B and C teams top their leagues.
Senior results: 2 Jeffries 31:37, 3 Oliver 31:48, 7 Cook 32:41, 25 Thompson 34:51, 26 Horlock 35:06, 27 Neeve 35:18, 29 Lingwood 35:45, 32 Ouaddane 36:00, 40 Pimlott 36:29, 52 Lines 36:59, 54 Leon Bernasconi 37:09, 66 James Drake 38:07, 71 Nicholson 38:33, 74 Liam Nudd 38:39, 80 Paul Sullivan 39:02, 92 Andrews 39:55, 93 Tim Earl 39:56, 104 Jon Comyn 40:43, 106 Leon Neeve 40:49, 121 Tim Moore 41:26, 124 Steve Carruthers 41:49, 125 Jason Browne 41:59, 134 Andy Ayers 42:25, 137 Colin Galer 42:29, 142 Robert Milner 42:58, 158 David Mower 43:58, 164 Bill Kingaby 44:18, 183 Mike Illingsworth 46:03, 186 Alan Fairs 46:19, 192 Steve Gibbs 46:47, 222 David Joyce 48:30, 226 Sarah Norman 48:54, 229 Matt Plummer 49:04, 242 Stephanie Pimlott 50:11, 250 Layla Bedford 50:56, 275 Stuart Smith 53:12, 280 Louise Harrod 53:55, 28 James Gooch 54:19, 297 Kaly Gooch 58:18.
- 1 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 2 Amazing pictures of the impact of heatwave captured from microlight
- 3 Town's real ale pub launches new menu with 'something for everyone'
- 4 'Bus week' scheme to protect 'lifeline' route in town
- 5 Care home's failings continue after damning report reveals abuse fears
- 6 Firefighters plea to not use sky lanterns as one lands near large field
- 7 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 8 New minister appointed for Beccles Salvation Army
- 9 Challenging future for high streets amid fall in shoppers
- 10 Beccles mother publishes new children's book
In the juniors, Sam Stevens recorded 15:12 for eighth, fourth in his age group.