Secretary 'euphoric' about cup win
Viv Thomas Beccles Town secretary John Humby, who has been connected to the club for 40 years, said he was 'euphoric' about his team's Suffolk Senior Cup triumph.
Beccles Town secretary John Humby, who has been connected to the club for 40 years, said he was 'euphoric' about his team's Suffolk Senior Cup triumph.
“It was a constant dream. I never thought this day would come, it has been ever such a long wait,” he told the Journal. “We hope to do it again next year - we have had a taste of it and we want to go there again!
“It was quite an occasion. Lots of Beccles people came down to support us.”
You may also want to watch:
He said it was Town's first major silverware since lifting an Anglian Combination Junior Cup in 1973.
Beccles' first Suffolk Senior Cup win since 1922 was certainly well earned, according to Humby.
- 1 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 2 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 3 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
- 4 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 5 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 6 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight
- 9 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 10 Do you have rare East Anglian apples growing in your garden?
“They deserved it. In the five games they only conceded one goal which shows that the strength lies in defending,” he said. “It's quite an achievement for the young players to play at Portman Road, something special.”
He added: “With Beccles Rugby Club recently in the cup final against Diss, it's a real bit of sporting success for the town which is good.”