Secretary 'euphoric' about cup win
Viv Thomas Beccles Town secretary John Humby, who has been connected to the club for 40 years, said he was 'euphoric' about his team's Suffolk Senior Cup triumph.
Beccles Town secretary John Humby, who has been connected to the club for 40 years, said he was 'euphoric' about his team's Suffolk Senior Cup triumph.
“It was a constant dream. I never thought this day would come, it has been ever such a long wait,” he told the Journal. “We hope to do it again next year - we have had a taste of it and we want to go there again!
“It was quite an occasion. Lots of Beccles people came down to support us.”
You may also want to watch:
He said it was Town's first major silverware since lifting an Anglian Combination Junior Cup in 1973.
Beccles' first Suffolk Senior Cup win since 1922 was certainly well earned, according to Humby.
- 1 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
- 2 Pub and restaurant group 'looking forward' to re-opening popular venues
- 3 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 4 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
- 5 Hunt continuing for man who drove at cyclist
- 6 'A long time coming' - gyms welcome people back for April 12 reopening
- 7 Homelessness charity set to reopen popular shop
- 8 Crash between car and scooter on busy Norfolk road
- 9 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 10 'This is not okay!' - Anger at waste dumped on village field
“They deserved it. In the five games they only conceded one goal which shows that the strength lies in defending,” he said. “It's quite an achievement for the young players to play at Portman Road, something special.”
He added: “With Beccles Rugby Club recently in the cup final against Diss, it's a real bit of sporting success for the town which is good.”