Sharkie gets first win at Beccles ASC
BECCLES sailors enjoyed a warm, south-westerly in a pleasant light breeze at Beccles ASC, enticing another good fleet of boats on the water for the Series D campaigns.
After the previous outing’s Laser domination, it was the Enterprises who stole the show this week in the Winter Tankard as their Electric blue sails adorned the Waveney.
Race one had Kevin and Pippa Edwards in Sharkie closely chasing Jon Blankley’s Laser over the shortened course with Rory Kelsey and Georgie Roll not far behind in Evil Edna, team Edwards taking the honours on corrected time and in race two,
Kelsey and Roll simply outclassed the remaining fleet with an incredible start which they powered away from and were never threatened to win in style.
In the Tann Trophy for Toppers, a change of fortunes for Rowan Curtis had him win both races this week after two incredible battles with Charlie Folkard. Both helms led at some point but the lighter winds suiting Curtis on the day for a double.
The Optimist fleet is still strong with five out in force enjoying the less tempestuous conditions which forced retirements the previous week. Elena Edwards looks favourite for silverware in the Cinnabar Cup this year with a win in race one but Rachael Folkard certainly kept the pressure on with a great performance in the second race.
She more than ably fended off Edwards from the start for a well deserved win with George Curtis coming in third.
- 1 Challenging future for high streets amid fall in shoppers
- 2 Care home's failings continue after damning report reveals abuse fears
- 3 'Bus week' scheme to protect 'lifeline' route in town
- 4 Beccles mother publishes new children's book
- 5 Holiday business owner fined over £5k after 'excessive waste' found at site
- 6 Five-bedroom country house with 'secret garden' on sale for £1.25m
- 7 Motorcyclist injured after crash in busy Suffolk road
- 8 New minister appointed for Beccles Salvation Army
- 9 Camera club showcases best of town's efforts
- 10 Latest 'festival-style' market to take place next month
Winter Tankard race one (13): 1 Sharkie (K and P Edwards), 2 Tardis (J Blankley), 3 Evil Edna (R Kelsey/G Roll).
Tann Trophy race one (4): 1 Mambo Jambo (R Curtis), 2 Charlie 2 (C Folkard), 3 Inferno (C Baylis).
Cinnabar Cup race one (5): 1 Cinnabar (E Edwards), 2 Rachael (R Folkard), 3 Robin Hood (G Curtis).
Winter Tankard race two (12): 1 Evil Edna, 2 Cuddles (R Deller/J Edwards), 3 Sharkie (N and A Shipley).
Tann Trophy race two (4): 1 Mambo Jambo, 2 Charlie 2, 3 Inferno.
Cinnabar Cup race two (5): 1 Rachael, 2 Cinnabar, 3 Robin Hood.