Sharkie gets first win at Beccles ASC
BECCLES sailors enjoyed a warm, south-westerly in a pleasant light breeze at Beccles ASC, enticing another good fleet of boats on the water for the Series D campaigns.
After the previous outing’s Laser domination, it was the Enterprises who stole the show this week in the Winter Tankard as their Electric blue sails adorned the Waveney.
Race one had Kevin and Pippa Edwards in Sharkie closely chasing Jon Blankley’s Laser over the shortened course with Rory Kelsey and Georgie Roll not far behind in Evil Edna, team Edwards taking the honours on corrected time and in race two,
Kelsey and Roll simply outclassed the remaining fleet with an incredible start which they powered away from and were never threatened to win in style.
In the Tann Trophy for Toppers, a change of fortunes for Rowan Curtis had him win both races this week after two incredible battles with Charlie Folkard. Both helms led at some point but the lighter winds suiting Curtis on the day for a double.
You may also want to watch:
The Optimist fleet is still strong with five out in force enjoying the less tempestuous conditions which forced retirements the previous week. Elena Edwards looks favourite for silverware in the Cinnabar Cup this year with a win in race one but Rachael Folkard certainly kept the pressure on with a great performance in the second race.
She more than ably fended off Edwards from the start for a well deserved win with George Curtis coming in third.
- 1 'We had to take a chance': Bookshop defies the odds and launches in lockdown
- 2 Cattle farmer who was 'known across the country' dies aged 79
- 3 Collapsed footbridges replaced on popular walking route after six-year battle
- 4 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 5 Warning after 'three male youths' break into cars
- 6 Six-year-old taken to hospital after lorry collision
- 7 Farms, former rail lines and old buildings set to be sold off by council
- 8 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 9 Family 'truly moved' as crowds remember building company founder
- 10 Appeal to trace missing man who was last seen in Norwich
Winter Tankard race one (13): 1 Sharkie (K and P Edwards), 2 Tardis (J Blankley), 3 Evil Edna (R Kelsey/G Roll).
Tann Trophy race one (4): 1 Mambo Jambo (R Curtis), 2 Charlie 2 (C Folkard), 3 Inferno (C Baylis).
Cinnabar Cup race one (5): 1 Cinnabar (E Edwards), 2 Rachael (R Folkard), 3 Robin Hood (G Curtis).
Winter Tankard race two (12): 1 Evil Edna, 2 Cuddles (R Deller/J Edwards), 3 Sharkie (N and A Shipley).
Tann Trophy race two (4): 1 Mambo Jambo, 2 Charlie 2, 3 Inferno.
Cinnabar Cup race two (5): 1 Rachael, 2 Cinnabar, 3 Robin Hood.