Sharkie gets first win at Beccles ASC
BECCLES sailors enjoyed a warm, south-westerly in a pleasant light breeze at Beccles ASC, enticing another good fleet of boats on the water for the Series D campaigns.
After the previous outing’s Laser domination, it was the Enterprises who stole the show this week in the Winter Tankard as their Electric blue sails adorned the Waveney.
Race one had Kevin and Pippa Edwards in Sharkie closely chasing Jon Blankley’s Laser over the shortened course with Rory Kelsey and Georgie Roll not far behind in Evil Edna, team Edwards taking the honours on corrected time and in race two,
Kelsey and Roll simply outclassed the remaining fleet with an incredible start which they powered away from and were never threatened to win in style.
In the Tann Trophy for Toppers, a change of fortunes for Rowan Curtis had him win both races this week after two incredible battles with Charlie Folkard. Both helms led at some point but the lighter winds suiting Curtis on the day for a double.
You may also want to watch:
The Optimist fleet is still strong with five out in force enjoying the less tempestuous conditions which forced retirements the previous week. Elena Edwards looks favourite for silverware in the Cinnabar Cup this year with a win in race one but Rachael Folkard certainly kept the pressure on with a great performance in the second race.
She more than ably fended off Edwards from the start for a well deserved win with George Curtis coming in third.
- 1 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 2 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 3 Can you match a nurse's daily step count?
- 4 'World’s highest qualified merchant seamen' dies aged 62
- 5 Elections 2021: Framlingham and Beccles by-election candidates published
- 6 'Magical' Southwold holidays inspire children's author's latest book
- 7 Homelessness charity set to reopen popular shop
- 8 Thieves target boats on Broads and local rivers
- 9 Police called after large fight breaks out in Beccles
- 10 How to pay your respects to Prince Philip around East Suffolk
Winter Tankard race one (13): 1 Sharkie (K and P Edwards), 2 Tardis (J Blankley), 3 Evil Edna (R Kelsey/G Roll).
Tann Trophy race one (4): 1 Mambo Jambo (R Curtis), 2 Charlie 2 (C Folkard), 3 Inferno (C Baylis).
Cinnabar Cup race one (5): 1 Cinnabar (E Edwards), 2 Rachael (R Folkard), 3 Robin Hood (G Curtis).
Winter Tankard race two (12): 1 Evil Edna, 2 Cuddles (R Deller/J Edwards), 3 Sharkie (N and A Shipley).
Tann Trophy race two (4): 1 Mambo Jambo, 2 Charlie 2, 3 Inferno.
Cinnabar Cup race two (5): 1 Rachael, 2 Cinnabar, 3 Robin Hood.